kyan reki - affirmations

- reader is gender neutral

You quietly slip into DOPE SKETCH with a large skateboard-shaped duffel bag over your shoulder. You came back from running an errand for manager Oka, who claimed to have been busy though he probably wasn't. It was an excuse to not get out of the shop, but you didn't mind.

"Hello? Anyone here?"

Upon hearing your arrival, the manager pops his head out of the office door and sends you a wide grin. "I'll be there in a minute!"

As he runs back into his office, you stand still with one hand tucked underneath the strap of your bag and the other in your front pocket. There's no one else in the shop because of how late it is, so you casually lean against the desk, unbothered by how impolite your actions could be perceived as.

It takes a while for manager Oka to show up and once he does, he taps your shoulder to draw your attention.

"What have you got for me there?" he asks, eyeing the bag.

You drop it onto the front desk and he zips it open, revealing the same skateboard he built a few days ago. He frowns upon seeing it and looks back at you.

"What's wrong with it?"

You scratch your head. "The... buyer wasn't too satisfied. He said the wheels were way too thick and demanded, demanded, to have them remade.

"The entire thing or just the wheels? Please tell me it's just the wheels."

"..."

"The entire thing?!"

"The entire thing."

Manager Oka lets out a groan. "This is why I asked Reki to make it, but that boy said he was too busy teaching Langa how to skate."

You snort. "Reki's still hell-bent on teaching the transfer student?"

The manager shrugs and tucks the skateboard underneath his chair. "They've been at it for a week now. I gotta say, this is the first time I've seen Reki so riled up after his defeat to Shadow."

"Where are they now?" you ask, heading towards the door.

"You gonna find them? They're at the park."

"Okay, thank you!"

"No problem. Also, (Name), tell Reki to mend this skateboard for me. I can't fix things to save my life."

"Of course!"

You make sure to give manager Oka a thumbs up before the door closes with a jingle. The street lamps come to life when you step onto the pavement and they lighten your route to the park.

You've been to the playground so many times, or maybe too many because you contemplate about bringing a blanket each time you go. That's only because Reki loves to skate during the night when it's always cold. He tends to go 'full power' in the dark.

Thanks to Reki, you know the fundamentals of skating, which in Reki's perspective, is very 'essential.' Just like he is with Langa, he was so determined to get those wheels rolling under your feet. The number of times you fell and hurt yourself wasn't a great achievement, especially when Reki couldn't stop laughing.

Attempting tricks with him wasn't a proud moment of your life either — you don't even want to think about how many times you landed on your ass — but watching Reki try and try again really motivated you to push further. That's why he regards you as his best friend, partner and 'skate disciple.'

You chortle as you near the park. 'Skate disciple.' What a grand title to hold.

The red gate creaks open and waits for you to pass before it shuts loudly. The park is quite abandoned, so you make a beeline towards your friends, who are attempting ollies in the centre.