"Make it silver," suggested Victoria. She swept the tasselled handbag off the table, overturning a bowl of cornflakes. "Whoops! Clean that up for me, Abby. I can't be ruining my new manicure!"

Abby flipped open the notebook.

'A slim chance of success in the forthcoming competition is making Victoria more conceited than ever.'

By the time they set off to school, the house was even more of a tip than it had been when they'd woken up.

Sophie wasn't the type to do the hoovering, or run a damp cloth across the surfaces, so the dust collected in fine sheets across the bookshelves and tabletops. It looked a bit like the crisp layer of frost that settled over the grass in winter; and whenever anyone stirred, it rose up into the air in great billowing clouds.

Cereal packets and juice cartons lay askew over the dust, sturdy black lace-ups lining the staircase like soldiers standing to attention. None of them liked living in a tip, but if that was the price to pay for never having to help with the household chores, then they knew they would manage.

"I'm not driving you," Victoria declared, as if she expected anyone to protest. "I'm going out in half an hour."

Layla sighed in relief. "Well, that's good!"

"Excuse me?" She swung around to face them, all glittering dark eyes and flying locks. "I'll have you know I passed that test on my second attempt!"

"Well," Nathan grinned down at Layla. "I suppose miracles do happen!"

Victoria glowered and Layla giggled.

"Me and Luke are taking the bus," said Abby. "I've noticed that Mr Singh has started leaving his bike at home. Luke's going to get him talking and I'll record everything he says about the matter."

"Am I?" Her brother asked weakly. He knew he didn't stand a chance against her. If Abby said he would do it, then he would do it.

"You are. And Victoria is meeting me in the drama studio promptly at second break. Luke, Nathan; bring your nicest friends. We need a supportive audience."

"I'm supportive!"exclaimed Layla. "And I'm a nice friend! Bring me!"

By then they were all well aware of Victoria's audition, even Layla. It could have been for the starring role in a Hollywood movie, the way she fretted and fussed; and had minor meltdowns over it.

Sometimes the others were sure that even Victoria herself forgot that she was just showing up in a magazine office for a few minutes to perform a quick dance routine. There was so much talk about it that everything was completely blown out of proportion. But, as their eldest sister often reminded them, there was nothing like a bit of drama to liven up the day. And who knew- maybe this opportunity would prove to be more important than they'd thought?

They ended up being five minutes late for school.

"I'm sorry, Mrs Forbes," said Luke earnestly. He had arrived halfway through English, and wasn't particularly sorry. Actually, he was beginning to feel a bit queasy. Maybe, he thought, he should ask to visit Nurse Clara. "The buses were late. My Mum couldn't drive us this morning."

Mrs Forbes was a sharp faced old woman with a strong passion for poetry and not much else.

"When I went to school, I relied on myself to get me there and back. Students are too dependent on their parents these days!" She gave a frustrated sigh. "Right, we're taking background notes on William Shakespeare. Sit down."

As Luke sat down across from the textbook, which at first glance looked more than a little intimidating, he began to feel more sick than ever. The print started to swirl and scurry around the paper like little black ants. He could barely read the first paragraph. Luke often had dizzy spells, but for some reason they happened most frequently during English.