Chapter 1

Chapter One

Rumor had it you could breathe easier closer to the city, that the air filters and trees in the greenhouses cleansed the air outside of Refuge for miles around it. Brynne Story slid her scarf down from her nose and mouth to test the theory, taking a short, quick breath first, then a deeper one as soon as she realized that the rumors were true. Pure, fresh, dust-free oxygen flowed into her lungs, and she smiled, then laughed, then wondered if the excess oxygen were making her giddy.

Smiling, unable to keep from doing so, Brynne continued down the dusty trail, through ruins of the cities that had come before Refuge, under a scorching sun, toward the collection of concrete, steel, and glass rectangles that offered hope and shelter to anyone who sought such things. Brynne definitely sought such things, but her real quarry was her family. The most recent Disaster--rogue drones and cybernetic animals charging through the countryside--had scattered her family across the continent, and she intended to find them all--mother, father, brothers, and sister-in-law.

Surely, if any of them had come this way, they would have seen the beacon that was Refuge and been drawn to it. Surely, this place would be a place of reunion, of meeting again with the people she loved.

Brynne crossed the old concrete bridge that led to Refuge's gates, glancing down with some disappointment at the dry riverbed beneath it. Rumors had spoken of a shining river filled with leaping salmon, and this was nothing but a dusty ditch, speckled with broken machinery and other refuse. She hoped Refuge better lived up to the other rumors, at least all the good ones.

The gates, dark gray metal, loomed to greet her, and she hesitated, adjusting her backpack on her shoulders. Surely a place called Refuge should look a little less... forbidding.

A long, narrow panel opened on the right-hand gate, revealing a screen.

A robotic male voice instructed, "Come forward, traveler. Place your hand on the scanner and state your name and purpose."

Brynne took a deep breath and strode to the gate, pressing her hand against the neon image of a hand that appeared on the screen.

"Brynne Illyria Story. I've come in search of my family."

A green line swept down the screen, and the hidden speaker beeped as the line ran behind her hand.

"Welcome, Brynne Story," the voice said, and the icon of a smiling face appeared on the screen in place of the hand. "Please abide by the laws of Refuge: No murder, no theft, no personal injury, no damage to property. Please report to Oracle Candidacy Division as soon as possible, Candidate Brynne."

Brynne frowned, puzzled. "Repeat the last sentence, please."

"Please report to Oracle Candidacy Division as soon as possible, Candidate Brynne."

She scrunched up her nose. "What's Oracle Candidacy Division?"

A graphic appeared on the screen--the letters OCD in the middle of an angular, stylized sun.

"OCD is the division of Refuge government and security that governs the selection of each generation's Oracle," the robotic voice explained. "All candidates for the position must apply with OCD and proceed through the selection process."

"I'm not--I'm not interested in becoming an oracle," Brynne replied.

A chill swept over her skin, raising goosebumps on her arms.

"As a descendent of First Oracle Elias of Redstar, you are required to report to OCD immediately," the voice droned.

"Elias of Redstar?"