"Thinking what?" my mother spat. 

"Thinking she hasn't been able to see the guy she loves in nearly a month," I deadpanned. 

"How are we supposed to announce her as a candidate now?" my mother scoffed. 

"We don't," I shrugged. "We announce her as a guest, why must you complicate things? She loves someone else, that someone else loves her, I love-" I stopped my mouth from going any further while my grandmother's lips twitched. "I like someone else, there is no point," I cleared my throat. 

"He doesn't appear to be royalty," my dad stated. 

"He's not. He's normal." 

"That's appalling," my mother mumbled. 

"Everybody is normal but you, Arabella, keep quiet," my grandmother hissed. 

"Their relationship has been a secret but they're ready to reveal it now and Mila's parents will be told when she wishes to tell them." 

"They are coming for the ball!" my mother exclaimed. 

"So? She'll tell them, why does that concern you?" my grandmother groaned. 

"Do you know how embarrassing it is? What fools we will look like?" 

"We are not fools because a princess doesn't love our prince and loves another," my dad rolled his eyes. 

"The only fool we know is you," my grandmother added. 

"Lady Beatri-" 

"Shush!" She shut her up before she could even begin. 

"Enjoy the night," I smirked before turning around and walking out. I went straight upstairs, trying not to pay attention to Mila and Josh who were talking in the same spot while all the girls watched from upstairs, smiling to themselves. I went and took my spot behind Evelyn, putting my arms around her from behind because the others were too busy to notice. 

"Hi," she smiled, looking back at me. 

"Hi." I pecked her cheek. 

"They look so happy," she whispered more so to herself. 

Josh was saying something to Mila and she was smiling but appeared a little confused. She chuckled softly, shaking her head before asking him something, her eyebrows shooting up. I don't think he answered, he only took a step back. 

"Oh my god," Evelyn gasped softly. 

"What?" I whispered in her ear. 

"He's about to..." 

"Will you marry me?" 

Everyone heard that. 

I watched in pleasant shock as he went down on one knee and pulled out a ring from his pocket, opening the box that revealed a simple gold band. Her eyes widened while she clamped her hands over her mouth, sinking to her knees in front of him. She was crying. 

"Maybe we should give them a minute," Caroline suggested and all the other girls left. 

The last thing I saw was Mila nodding frantically before he kissed her and then Evelyn and I left too. 

"I can't believe he proposed in front of everyone," she grinned while we made our way to our rooms. "That was so adorable, did you see how happy she looked? She had no idea," she laughed while opening the door to her room and I followed, smiling at her back. It's adorable the way she's fangirling. "I've never seen a proposal happen before, have you?" she asked, spinning around to face me, stopping abruptly, causing me to crash into her. 

I chuckled, "What?" 

"Have you seen a proposal happen?" she chuckled while I put my arms around her waist. 

"Not except for that one," I shook my head, walking her backward and over to the desk. 

She smiled while I picked her up and seated her on the desk, standing between her legs. 

"How do you imagine your proposal to be?" I questioned, putting my hands beside her thighs and leaning in. 

"What?" she chuckled, looking at me slightly confused. "In what case would I get a proposal? You've already decided we're getting married," she shrugged, putting her arms around my neck. 

"And that means you won't get a proposal? No," I shook my head. "You will still be proposed to." 

"Will I?" she grinned. 

I nodded. "But how would you like it?" 

"Surprise me," she shrugged. 

"Proposals cannot be risked," I shook my head. 

She laughed in response. 

"How would you like yours? I'll take notes," I nodded. 

She thought for a minute. "Nothing dramatic but also not just the two of us, I want someone to see," she scoffed. 

I smiled. 

"I don't want a fancy diamond ring, the moment doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be fancy and on an important night, just mind the timing. We should be having a moment," she shrugged. "There's not much else to say, you'll know how to do it when you want to, trust me. And I reckon you know me enough to know what I like and what I don't, am I right?" she arched a brow at me, leaning in teasingly. 

"I suppose so," I replied, my eyes going to her lips. I felt myself leaning in and she did the same, turning her head at the last second, causing my lips to land on her cheek. I let out a low groan before taking her chin and having her face me. 

She chuckled softly leaning in again, her lips mere inches away from mine, and once again before I could kiss her, she pulled back. I sighed, my hand automatically going around her throat and pulling her forward. She grabbed my arm but she didn't pull my hand down. I smashed my lips against hers and she kissed me back almost immediately. It's what she's come to do now.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 40

someone help me find my fucking AC remote, I literally haven't been able to find it for fucking hours.

anyway,

the next chapter will have a time jump to the ball, just letting you guys know

next chapter: love