5| Bribe

Chapter 5: Bribe (Evelyn's POV)

"And then she kept yelling around for Bruce, even though she knows so well that he's taken a few days off for his daughter. I don't understand how..." He's talking but I'm not listening. 

I'm staring off into space. 

"Evelyn? Hey." 

I snapped out of my thoughts, turning around to look at Lucas. 

"Where'd you go?" he chuckled. 

I shook my head dismissively. "Nowhere. Continue," I sighed. 

We meet every other day here at the lakeside at midnight. It's an equal distance from the palace and from my house. People don't come here often and it's fairly secluded. 

"Evie," he sighed. 

He's the only person in this world who calls me that. 

I was currently sitting between his legs and leaning against his chest so I pushed myself off and turned around, facing him. "The Prince came to Cherie today." 

His eyes widened. "The Prince? Like Prince Archer?" 

"What other Prince do we know, Lucas?" I deadpanned. 

"Well, why was he there?" 

"To pick up his mother's dress but then..." 

Should I tell him? 

"Then what?" He's never been possessive or controlling, he can't possibly react that way now. 

"He was talking about his bride-hunt. He can't seem to find a princess." 

"Why would he tell you that?" 

My gut just told me not to tell him. "I don't know, I have to go to the palace tomorrow with my mom anyway. I should get going," I cleared my throat, slowly standing up and dusting the grass off of me. 

"You're coming to the palace tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, he has a fitting for a suit," I answered. 

"Okay," he said, slightly confused at my behavior. 

"I'm just tired, I'll see you tomorrow maybe, otherwise definitely the day after, okay?" I chuckled, brushing his hair back. 

He nodded, his eyes scanning my face. 

"Bye," I smiled, pecking his lips. 

"I love you," he said. 

"Love you too." I pecked his cheek before he went his way and I went mine. I started walking back home, folding my arms across my chest when a soft breeze passed by. I walked inside, figuring that my mom was probably already asleep. 

Luckily, the boutique has been around for a while and gives us more than enough money. There are some people in this kingdom that are underprivileged, we are thankfully not part of that. My mom started the boutique when I was around three-years-old. So, it's been around for a while and on top of that my dad makes a fair share from his business as well so we were able to buy this two-story house in the somewhat rich part of the kingdom but not quite as rich as royalty, of course. I mean, we have everything we need. 

I walked in through the small front yard, opening the door and going upstairs to my room right away. I collapsed on my bed right away, feeling exhausted from the day. Exhausted enough that I dozed off within fifteen minutes. 

"Evelyn!" my mom called out. 

It's now the next morning and we're getting ready to go to the palace.