28| Rules

Chapter 28: Rules (Archer's POV)

"And then they lived happily ever after," she snorted. 

For the past five minutes we've been lying in bed and she's been pretending to tell me a bedtime story because I refused to let her leave. So she thinks if I fall asleep, she can sneak out. Hence, the bedtime story. To put me to sleep. 

"What happened to the cat?" I chuckled. 

"It ran away," she huffed, lying on her side and turning to me. "I should really get back to my room." 

"Who are you so scared of? Nobody is going to come in here. And even if they do, there is no rule that states you cannot stay in my room with me," I shrugged. 

"Some rules are unspoken, Prince Archer," she sighed. 

"Unspoken rules? Such as?" I arched a brow at her sharply. 

"Such as the rule that says we cannot be disrespectful to your or your family. Is it written anywhere? No. But do we all follow it? Yes." 

"You can be as disrespectful as you like to me," I smirked. 

She sighed facepalming. 

"Will you relax? Nobody cares because everyone knows there is something going on between you and me. Everyone knows you are the girl I choose. It makes no difference," I laughed softly. 

"It does," she groaned. "Your mother hates me, you do realize that, right?" 

"She doesn't like any of the girls except Chloe. You cannot let her opinion bother you," I explained. 

"But it does bother me! It bothers me that I like you so much and you like me so much but your mother doesn't. Maybe it shouldn't bother me but it does." 

"And why is that?" I lay on my side, looking at her. 

"Because I have only liked two guys in my life. Two. And if neither of their mothers can tolerate me, I think there's something wrong, there's an issue there, don't you think?" she rambled. 

"No, I don't," I replied calmly. "It's about you and me, my mother and her opinion shouldn't matter. And if you're so worried about her finding out, then okay. You can go back to your room. And I'll follow you. That way, you don't get in trouble if someone does find out. I do," I shrugged. 

"You're the prince, you're not going to get in trouble," she mumbled, pouting softly. 

"I will gladly get in trouble for you. And if I can't, I'll make sure you can't either, all right?" 

"But-" 

"All right?" I asked more sternly.

She sighed in defeat. 

"Would you still like to leave?" I whispered. 

"No," she admitted. "But if I get in trouble-" 

"I will handle it," I cut her off. "Trust me." 

"I do trust you," she sighed. 

"Everything is just happening very quickly." 

I lay on my stomach, listening to her. 

"I mean... It's like, last I checked, I had just been cheated on by the only guy I ever liked. And now? Nearly two weeks later, I like you. A lot. But we're already talking about getting married. That is very intense, Archer. I don't know about you, but it is for me. I never thought I would even meet the prince let alone marry him." She sat up, leaning against the headboard. "Which is why when you told me that you were considering me for marriage, I never freaked out. Because I never took it seriously."