Chapter 53🌹

Josephine

I follow the kids and enter the room which we are supposed to spend in the next half an hour.
To be honest, I don't know how to interact with children since I don't have younger siblings or cousins. So I was taken aback when I saw their reactions to my peekaboo. Who knows 5-year-olds are not interested in peekaboos anymore?

Unlike me, Zendaya seems to know what she's doing and most of the children are surrounding her who's playing the piano. They are singing We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
I wish I could act like her, I can't help but wish. She's better at anything and it makes me feel less than her. She makes me feel I'm not good enough for Hero. I close my eyes to prevent my tears to fall. But then, his voice echoes in my head.
"You're the best without a doubt and all you have to do is to believe it and be yourself. I know you can win this because you're the only one I approved of, remember?"
Even when I can't believe in myself, he always believes in me. He always has a faith in me and it lets me do the same because I believe in him. I don't know if that makes sense but it is the truth and I think it's what it is to love someone. He is my anchor and I finally notice it. I love him from the bottom of my heart.
I need to tell him that. But first, I need to win. I open my eyes and start walking to the crowd in front of the piano. My way, however, is suddenly blocked by four boys. One is with dark brown hair and a pair of piercing green eyes, one with blond hair and brown eyes, one with chocolate skin and jet-black hair, and one with mysterious dark brown eyes and curly black hair. They look at me as though I'm a wild animal. Gosh, they are literally the mini-versions of F4 especially with their attitude.

"Hey, old woman."
Out of blue, the boy who I doubt is coincidentally a cousin of Hero speaks to me. He's also as rude as Hero though he has an American accent.
"What?"
I raise my eyebrow at him with a huff. I'm not sure if it's because he resembles Hero but I reply just like I used to do to him. Well... I might still be doing it though. The mini Hero smirks.
"I heard you are poor. You're not only old but poor!"
The other three laugh to his comment. I can see they are trying to hurt my feelings but they should know better that their attack is far less than a summer breeze to me. So I fake-yawn at them, showing I'm bored and say,
"Are you done?"
This seems to have taken them off guard and their smirks leave their faces.
"What do you mean?"
"I asked you if you're done 'insulting' me."
I use my fingers to emphasize the word insulting.
"W... what? I'm not done yet!"
He frantically exclaims.
"Then, go ahead and give me your best shot."
I challenge him. I see the wheels in his head spin in their full speed. After a few seconds, he finally finds his best weapon.
"You look as old as my grandma and smell like mice because you're too poor to even take a bath!"
Proudly, he says. Aww. Does he really think I'll be hurt by those cute comebacks? How cute.
"You actually hurt me feelings."
Placing a hand on my chest, I pretend to cry.
"Really?"
His face lights up as I expected. You've got trapped, kid. I turn to him with a straight face and tell him.
"Nah. Hardly. You are just a boy, wanting to be a bully though you're weak and small. You need to grow up, kid."
"I'm not weak or small!"
He shouts in anger.
"If you say so, how about you fight with me and prove that you're not what I think you are?"
I grin.
"Deal."
"Alright then, how about we do sit-ups? Whoever that finishes 10 faster wins."
"Great."
And we both lie on the floor.
"Ready, set, go!"

*

Fifteen minutes later, all of us are on the floor, panting like dogs due to exhaustion. After I won in the sit-up battle, the little Hero, who I learned is named Henry, insisted that we had to have another game and the other three joined it. My winning continued and they demanded more and more battles, which resulted in the current situation.