Maybe if I had just minded my business like they asked me to...

"Elyon Damije," I was jerked out of my reverie by Mr Kohol's edgy voice. I looked up to see the entire class staring at me and Mr Kohol glaring at me.

"S-sir?" I stuttered out, nervously playing with my fingers. I wasn't paying attention and now, I've been caught.

"What is the difference between Bicameralism and Unicameralism?" He asked me, his eyes locked on mine. I looked at the board and saw that it was blank. I looked down at my book but only saw absent minded scribbles on the pages.

I was stranded.

"Uhm, B-Bicameralism is..." I trailed off, trying to search my brain for the topic which we actually did last year but my mind was suddenly blank, like I had not read or been taught anything.

The stares from my classmates wasn't even helping matters.

"Bicameralism is a legislature with two houses or chambers while Unicameralism is a legislature with one house or chamber." That was Mateo.

"I'm very much certain I didn't ask you, Mateo." Mr Kohol stated matter-of-factly and Mateo shrugged in return.

"Elyon isn't feeling too well, sir. I was just trying to help her, as a friend." Mateo replied and I forced myself not to roll my eyes.

This was what Mateo has been trying to do since the past two weeks. Talk to me, or get us to talk at least but I wasn't giving him that. He felt sorry for what happened and I understand that but I honestly didn't want to talk to him or anyone of them for that matter.

"Okay." Mr Kohol simply said and went back to teaching the class. I could feel Mateo's gaze burning holes to my side. After his save, I was sure he expected a thank you or for me to look at him at least.

Not a chance in heaven.

I looked back at Mr Kohol and tried to listen.

I needed to focus and push all these to a corner for now.

I can't afford to fail finals.

☆☆☆☆

As soon as Mr Kohol left the class, I picked up my bag and books, wanting to leave the class before Mateo tries to, want to talk to me. But I guess I wasn't fast enough because as soon as I got to the door, I felt him right behind me.

"Elyon, please wait." I heard him say behind me but I wasn't ready to talk to him. Instead, I kept walking, making a detour down the stairs as fast as I could.

"I know you are angry with me and I understand why you are, but please stop ignoring me." I could hear the remorse in his voice so I stopped, heaving a deep sigh then turning on my heels.

"I'm not angry with you, Mateo." I told him, watching as he made his way down the stairs and closer to me.

"But you should be." He stated, his expression filled with guilt and his voice laced with compassion. "If I knew Skye was going to blow it all out of proportion, I swear I wouldn't have..." I cringed, on hearing another reminder of what happened.

"Can we not talk about it?" I demanded, trying not to let my voice sound so edgy. Mateo sighed, nodding slowly while his eyes watched me intently with trails and trickles of compassion in them. I let out a shaky breath, trying to calm myself down.

I refuse to cry. I refuse to cry. I chanted to myself as soon as my chest began to swell with so many emotions.

"I'm so sorry, Elyon. You have no idea how sorry I am." He repeated, his voice low and almost soothing that it made me want to forget everything that has been going on for the past week. But I didn't want that apology to come from him. Mateo didn't really do anything.