Chapter 17 - Reunited

Start from the beginning

The trip back to the HQ was uneventful, everyone talking quietly among themselves as Tails brought them back home. They had nearly died, Sonic realised. If it hadn't been for Venice removing the Emeralds, the sheer power of the gem-fuelled bomb would surely have blown them all to smithereens back there. Frowning, he let his thoughts wander. Silver had described Frozen City as... well, frozen. He had also said that he had been unable to find any of the magical gems in the now-undone timeline. Was there perhaps a relation between what had happened today and the ruination of the future? It certainly wouldn't be the first time his actions subverted a tragedy.

He'd discuss that with Tails later, Sonic decided as the sky coloured golden with the arising dawn. Landing at the HQ without a hitch, he and Espio set off to the medbay with the two psychics and Amy, while the rest of the Chaotix set off to bed. None of them had had a single moment to rest, and Sonic fell sleepiness swim behind his eyelids. Venice seemed to be jumping around all over the place, no doubt still fuelled entirely by adrenalin due to the day's affairs. Sonic struggled to keep a firm grip on his upper arm, trying to prevent the other from rushing over to Silver. Espio seemed as composed as always, but Amy looked exhausted too, judging by the dark purple bags under her eyes. Still, it had absolutely been worth it, Sonic determined with a small smile as Espio carefully laid their resting friend in a bed.

"He's not injured physically, so I'm afraid there is little we can do for him," the ninja murmured as Amy carefully tucked Silver under the sheaths and ran her hand over his quills. The hedgehog scrunched up his nose and flicked his ears in his sleep, making the three friends laugh a little. Yes, he'd be fine. Venice, freeing himself from the grasp Sonic had on him the moment the blue hedgehog got distracted, clambered up on the bed and shot under the covers. Judging by the shape formed underneath the cloth Sonic could see he had curled himself against Silver's chest, his head right on top of the resting psychic's heart.

"You rest too, okay? If there is anything, just call for me," Amy told the lump as she smoothened out the disturbed bedding.

"...Okay," Venice responded very quietly, which was followed by the noise of a huge yawn and then silence. Tiptoeing over the head of the bed and peeking underneath the covers, Sonic saw that he had already fallen fast asleep. Amy giggled softly and Sonic grinned, while Espio appeared to be feeling surprisingly affectionate. They snuck out of the room without a noise, letting the resting psychics be for a while.

---

Venice lavishly stretched out his muscles, ears flicking lazily as they were stroked by the rays of the afternoon sun. It had been two days since their brush with death, and everything had gone mostly back to normal. Both he and Silver were still contained to the medical bay to recover physically and mentally, to the dark grey hedgehog's great disdain. Amy had forbidden him from going out or using his powers until they knew for sure that he had fully healed them, though Silver seemed determined to be stubborn about that. Venice had quickly figured out a way to keep his complaining friend under control, to his great delight and Silver's faked contempt. When the latter got difficult the psychic would simply flop himself fully on Silver's stomach and refuse to budge, giving the other no chance to do anything but obey. The mental image of Silver's face, split evenly between affection, indignation and aggrievement as he was forced to lie there and give his friend cuddles, made Venice snicker even in his drowsy state.

Unfortunately Silver had easily figured out a way to foil his genius, namely by gently digging his fingers into Venice's sides until the other was forced to jump up with a squeal of laughter. As the giggling psychic scampered away to get rid of the feeling it gave him enough time to escape and for Venice to give chase, both of them running around the medbay like maniacs until one of them tired out and they returned to bed for a nap. Right now they had compromised, Silver laying on his back and Venice using his torso to prop up his head, and they were both idly dozing. If he could spend every moment like this, just lazing around and having fun with Silver at his side and few worries looming on the horizon, he would without hesitation. As long as the days were harmonious, he could pretend the nightmares that plagued him as he slept and the fear that crippled his entire body every time he was left alone in a room were non-existent, mere phantoms made up by his mind to torture him further. But still, he knew that the time traveller would be itching to go back to his own era after this. He had already decided to cherish the moment of relative peace he experienced right now, and see what life had in store later.