Chapter 11 -Uncomfortable Revelations and Stressful Situations

Sonic briskly jogged around the area that Sunset City was located in, gripping Venice's legs tightly as he carried the other around on his back. Leaving the HQ had been easy enough, he had been chatting cheerfully as he bounded across the halls and listened to Venice's hums in response to his babbles. As they reached the streets outside Sonic had blasted away at his usual pace, but it soon became clear that Venice had no hopes of keeping up with him, puffing and panting only minutes into the exertion. Realising they wouldn't get far that way, Sonic had offered to give Venice a piggyback ride, which the other accepted with a doubtful look on his face. But no complaints had passed his lips as Sonic hoisted him up, making sure to flatten his quills so he wouldn't hurt him.

As Sonic trotted over the paths, he could feel Venice bury his face firmly into the top of his head, clutching his arms around the speedster like his life depended on it. Sonic had to quietly laugh at that; he was going at a fraction of his normal speed, not worried about Venice's reaction as much as fearing Silver's wrath if he were to find out Sonic had pulled the same prank on his new friend twice. Luckily, Venice hadn't been yelling like the first time he had come into contact with Sonic's speediness, and occasionally he even lifted his head slightly to take a peek at the surroundings they passed. Sonic considered it a huge development.

He had been running around for some time now, seeing no people in need that could be aided. They could probably take it slow for a moment and find somewhere where they could chat. Gazing around, he saw a nice spot at the edge of the lake, sheltered by some trees and shrubs, to put Venice down. He really wanted to talk to Silver's friend, to learn more about him and his story. Most of all he hoped he would get an explanation as to why the two looked so alike. That couldn't just be simple coincidence, right? Maybe he could study Venice a bit more closely too, without Silver breathing down his neck. There were quite some things he wanted to get to the bottom of.

Lifting Venice of his back and putting him down, Sonic had to laugh out loud this time as the psychic's legs gave away under him instantly and he collapsed backwards on his bum, leering at the Blue Blur in a betrayed manner. Throwing himself down to the ground as well, Sonic grinned and laid down comfortably on his back, gazing lazily at the clouds that drifted by. Silence prevailed for a few seconds, in which he waited for Venice to say something, but realising that the other kept quiet he took the initiative himself.

"So, Venice." The recipient of his statement glanced at him, clearly on guard. He didn't seem as frightened as before though, so Sonic continued. "I was wondering, how did you and Silver meet?" After a few seconds Venice mumbled some things in response, from which Sonic could make out that Silver had found him somewhere in the ruins of the future and had taken care of him since. Humming in affirmation, Sonic thought over what Venice told him. There were quite a few gaps in the story: how had Venice survived in the future, and were his similarities to Silver merely happenstance? Clearly Venice was withholding at least a part of his full tale. Though looking at the youth next to him, who was fiddling nervously with his gloves and coat, Sonic accepted that he wouldn't get the answers he desired. He could always ask Silver later, he supposed.

Settling in the comfortable calm that followed, Sonic gazed up at the clouds. If he squinted he could make out some chilidogs in one, and another looked like a Chaos Emerald... he smiled at the childish activity. Wanting to ask Venice if he knew how to cloudgaze, he saw that the other was watching him intently. When he turned around his head to look back inquiringly, Venice averted his gaze instantly, nervousness fully back in his posture. Sonic rolled over on his side. "What's up?"

"'m..." The nervous fiddling with gloves continued relentlessly. Sonic waited patiently for Venice to find the words he was looking for. He had learned long ago that in situations like these it was best to take it slow. Eventually those words came out in a very tiny voice. "M-may I... ask you s-something?"