Chapter 15

Malfoy was gone in an instant. Hermione smoothed her hair out in an attempt to look less frazzled. 

"Hello, Hermione." 

Hermione recognised the dreamy, far away voice at once. Luna. She feigned nonchalance by leaning against the table and smiling brightly as Luna and Blaise stepped out of the fireplace, both sporting grins on their faces. Blaise was dressed in impeccable emerald robes, not a crease out of place. Luna was dressed in cargo pants and some kind of a mix between a poncho and a jacket.

"Luna, how've you been?" Hermione gave the blond witch a warm hug, "I haven't seen you in a while."

"Yes, well, I was rather busy," Luna shrugged simply, "me and Blaise were in the rainforests of Asia with Rolf, researching a particular kind of Occamy."

"Fascinating," Hermione said as she hugged Blaise, "when did you get back?"

"Just yesterday, we dropped by at Pansy's," Blaise clarified, still grinning, "we visited Harry and Ginny in the morning, then went home before coming here. Harry and told us you had moved from your parents' place."

"Yes, recently," Hermione agreed, thankful he hadn't asked for a reason. She motioned to the chairs, asking them to sit down, "or you can sit in the living room."

"No, here is fine," Luna said, "your living room is very inviting to wrackspurts."

"Right, I'll uh, I'll look into that," Hermione smiled. Luna's quirkiness was something not everybody could handle, but personally, Hermione found the fact that she chose to be herself inspite of what others said very encouraging. Blaise was extremely proud of her.

"I'll get out some pie," Hermione said, "it's yesterday's, but it still tastes the same."

"Good, I'm famished," Blaise groaned exaggeratedly, "we were forced to eat treacle tart which Harry cooked, it was a tragic experience."

"Oh, hush, he tries his hardest," Hermione shook her head, but laughed at the same time. She couldn't believe how fast her sourness towards Harry had vanished. It just showed how much he meant to her.

"Hello."

Everyone turned to the door which had opened and closed. Hermione gulped down her sudden fear and craned her neck nervously, but attempting to look nonchalant. Malfoy stood, as Carson Bones, with a small smile on his face.

"And who are you?" Blaise asked as he surveyed Carson from his head to his toes, no doubt trying to recall seeing him at Hogwarts.

"Carson Bones," Malfoy extended a hand for Blaise to shake. Hermione seemed to be the only one to notice the slight tremble in it.

"Blaise Zabini," Blaise flashed a bright smile.

"It's lovely to meet you, Bones," Luna shook Malfoy's hand as well, "Luna Lovegood."

Malfoy nodded. Hermione knew that Malfoy and Blaise had been very good friends, and suddenly she felt-sad. Malfoy couldn't seek comfort in his old friend even when they were literally only a few steps apart. All because of one revengeful prat.

"What's with the face?" Blaise chuckled as he looked at her.

"Nothing, nothing," Hermione laid the plates on the table, "Carson made it, by the way, not me."

"You're a bloody good cook, mate," Blaise said through his spoonful of apple pie, "this is bloody delicious."

Malfoy nodded. He looked very pale, and sat with his arms crossed across his chest. His eyes flitted between the table and Blaise continually.