Chapter Forty-Three - Better Together

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Sunshine," I reply, completely forgetting about the video game I'm supposed to be playing.

"Bro! Stop getting distracted by your girlfriend and play the- never mind, you died." Liam huffs in annoyance.

"I'm sorry I made you lose." Layla whispers into my ear as she walks around to sit on the armrest of the couch right beside me.

"Doesn't matter, Sunshine. How was the mall?" I ask her, placing my hand in her lap so she can hold it. She does so immediately, letting me twist around the rings she wears on her fingers.

"Good. I bought a couple shirts I liked. I also brought you back a juice. You're favourite." She says, handing me a cup from the juice place at the nearby mall.

I grin, taking it from her gratefully. "You're the best, Sunshine."

"I know," She smiles, bending down to peck my lips.

"I can't believe we lost that game because you suck and you can't keep your eyes off Layla. Hi, by the way, Blondie." Liam smiles at her after calling Mark and I out individually.

Layla laughs, "Hi, Liam."

Liam spots the juice in my hands and gasps turning to look for Anna. When he spots her sitting in the armchair, he lights up. "Did you get me a juice, Annie?"

She nods her head towards the kitchen, "It's on the counter." Liam immediately darts out of the room to get it.

"So," Amanda starts, fixing her eyes on me, "I think you and I need to have a little chat, don't we?"

"Uh, why?" I ask in scared confusion.

"Well, you think you're worthy enough to date my best friend. If you want to last more than a week, you'll need to get on my good side." Her eyes narrow at me.

Layla laughs, "Come on, Amanda. You've known him for months now. And was it not you that was screaming about how happy you are for me in the car a couple hours ago?"

Amanda raises an eyebrow, leaning back into Mark who's lap she's sitting on. "Don't act like you didn't do the exact same thing to Mark when we first started dating. You're just not as scary as I am."

"She got that part right." I murmur before taking a sip of my drink.

"Hey! I so was scary! Right Mark?" Layla defends.

"You were about as scary as a puppy." Mark shrugs.

"Rude."

"See." Amanda nods once before looking back to me with a grin, "Seriously though, I'm so glad you finally grew some balls."

"That's what Liam and I said!" Mark exclaims, laughing.

I turn to look up at Layla with a pout, "They had no faith in me."

"Aww, it's okay, baby. You did it in the end." She chuckles at my pouting.

I smile, gently tugging her closer to me until she slides down from the armrest to instead sit in my lap. Leaning down, I whisper softly in her ear, "I liked that."

"What?" She whispers back her question.

"You calling me baby," I reply softly.

She grins, "I guess I finally found a nickname for you then."

"I feel like things would have progressed much faster if you had been calling me baby from the beginning."

"You think?" Her giggle is like music to my ears.

I hum my agreement, "Yeah. It makes me feel all giddy when you say it."

She laughs, "You're so fúcking cute."