Chapter 30: Was This A Mistake?

Start from the beginning

"That one probably laced his voice with compulsion charms to make you do what he wants you to," Mary nodded.

Dean also nodded. "Anyway, later on, we learned that John had vanished to search for a certain colt that can kill anything, even demons, to kill Azazel."

"Wait a moment, why didn't he go to the Rabbit Hole and simply bought demon-killing ammunition?" Mary asked confusedly.

Dean snorted. "John never learned about that location, and Sam and I also only learned recently of its existence. For a hunter, he knew surprisingly little about what he was hunting."

"You're referring to something that happened to you recently again...what happened?"

"Let me continue, and you'll know," Dean replied with a smirk. "So John hunted down the colt while Sam and I continued the hunting business. We even had a run-in with Azazel but weren't able to kill him.

"That was when a truck hit us. I was critically injured, and John made a deal with Azazel to save my life. He handed over the colt he found by then and his instant death and departure to hell in exchange for my life.

"Sometime later all the special children as we called those with demon blood boosted abilities were brought to a ghost town somewhere in the middle of nowhere. All for some twisted tournament where they were to kill each other.

"The last one living then was supposed to open one of hell's gates with the colt as the key, which is actually the real purpose of it, and lead an army of demons to earth. At that point, we also learned that Azazel fed Sammy his blood the night you were killed.

"Later on, I learned that the whole thing was mainly staged to free Lilith from hell, the first demon, but I'll come back to that.

"In the end, Sam was killed during that tournament. That was the reason I made a deal, to save him. I had to."

Dean let his head fall into his hands and swallowed hard, talking about everything still hurt more than he wanted to admit.

Mary looked at Dean and saw how much it took out of him to talk about everything. Making a moment's decision, she took out a knife and broke the seal on the ceiling before walking over to Dean and kneeling in front of him.

"I can see how much you love your brother. It would be highly hypocritical if I condemned you for what you did to save your brother. Not when I'm willing to do the very same to save John," she said with a sad smile while grabbing Dean's wrists and pulling his hands away from his face to be able to see into his face.

Dean blinked a few times before he tentatively returned the smile. "It's just...it hurts talking about it...when I lost Sam..., I fell into a hole."

"What happened next?" she asked to prompt Dean to stop thinking about it.

Seeing how uncomfortable Mary was kneeling on the floor, Dean waved his hand and conjured another chair for her to sit on. Mary nodded in thanks before sitting down upon it.

"Well, you can probably guess how worried Sam was when he learned what I did. He tried everything to get me out of that deal.

"Half a year later we had a run-in with Loki," Dean continued snickering when he thought about Loki and what he did. "At that time we wanted to kill him for what he did but thinking about it now...."

"What did he do?"

"He trapped Sam and me in a time loop that only Sam would remember. In every single one of the loops, I would die in one way or another."

Thinking about it, Dean snickered even more. At some point, Loki had unlocked his memories about it, and Dean had to admit that some of his deaths really had been extremely funny.