chapter 1 ✦ new york, new york

One year later

New York City

I groaned when I heard my alarm going off. I rolled over onto my side and hit my alarm clock so it would stop. I finally stopped and I swung my legs over the side of my bed. I put my head in my hands as I huffed out because of the lack of sleep I got. I got the courage to get up and get dressed. After I was done, I walked down the stairs to see Henry watering the plants. I looked out the window and was greeted by the New York City view.

"Riley Angela Swan! Go help your brother!" I heard Emma yelled at me and I rolled my eyes. I pried my eyes away from the view and grabbed a water pail. I shouldn't argue. I'm grateful Emma adopted me. I would've been in the system in it wasn't for her. She adopted me when I was eight years old from an orphanage in Boston. Henry was three at the time. I don't really remember a whole lot about my birth parents. All I know is that my father was a marine for the navy and that my mother tagged along most of time. I guess they didn't have the time for a kid. I rushed over to the table when the smell of pancakes hit my nose. I sat down at the table and enjoyed Emma's cooking. Henry joined me a few moments after. Emma put some scrambled eggs on my plate along with a mug of hot chocolate, her speciality. Henry stared down at it before looking up at Emma with a smile.

"Mom, you forgot something," He pointed out, hinting at the cocoa. Emma snapped her fingers and rushed into the kitchen.

"You're right," She agreed and sprinkled some cinnamon on his whipped cream. "Cinnamon," She set it back down on the table, but Henry took instantly and poured more on. I chuckled at me and continued to eat my food. We all picked up our beverages and clinked our mugs together. We took a sip and set them back on the table, continuing our breakfast. Suddenly, a loud knock pounded on our apartment door. My head snapped over to the front door.

"Someone coming up?" I asked Emma and I took another bite of my pancake. Emma looked at the door, confused and shook her head.

"No," Emma denied and started to eat again until another knock banged at our door. A very annoyed Emma got up from her seat and marched towards the door. "Riley and Henry, wait here," She instructed. We both nodded our heads and carry on our business. I got up from my chair and walked into the living room, grabbing the television remote. I walked back over to the table and sat down, turning the TV on. Disney appeared on the screen. My favorite fairy tale was on. Peter Pan. I always adored it as a child when they played it on the caged television set at the orphanage. I smiled and put the remote down beside my plate.

"Can you change it?" Henry piped up, uncomfortably. I picked the remote back up and changed it to the Today Show. A door slam erupted from the hallway a few moments later. Emma came running back to the table and sat down. She was breathing, heavily. "Who was that?" Emma looked up at Henry.

"No idea," She spoke. "Someone must have left the door open downstairs," Emma assured us. I ignored her nature and dug back into my pancakes. I love food. We finished our food and put them in the sink. I grabbed my backpack along with my phone. Emma handed Henry his lunch and we all met at the door. We exited the apartment and walked down to the street. We all said our goodbyes and split up. Emma went in the opposite direction as Henry and I. New York City was buzzing with all kinds of activity. I loved this city. My mind cleared for the first time in forever and I hummed to myself. Soon enough, something interrupted me. Someone was watching us. I looked behind me to see a man wearing all black. He had a beard and wore a black, leather trench coat. Did I mention that New York was semi-crazy? I quickly looked away and leaned into Henry.

"Henry, do you know him?" I whispered in his ear. Henry looked behind his shoulder and gave me a confused look when he looked away.

"There's nobody there," He laughed. I looked again and saw that the man was gone. I stopped in my tracks and checked my surroundings. He was indeed gone. Man, I must be going crazy. Henry stopped walking with me when we got to his school. I continued my walk until I got to my high school for yet another miserable day. I walked through the heavy doors into hell itself. Everyone seemed to stare at me when I entered and whispered to their friends. Being bullied was the worst thing ever! It started when I was reading Peter Pan in class. A girl pointed out that I looked like one of the characters. I brushed it off, but the bullying began. It wasn't just that. My appearance and family history became an issue. The fact that I was orphan. Being strong doesn't work. Emma doesn't know about my situation. She'd kick someone's ass if she found out. Henry doesn't know either. He'd try and stand up for me, but get bullied himself even though he goes to a different school than I do. To my surprise, the day went by pretty fast. I began to walk out of the school, hearing some laughter and whispering coming towards me, but ignored it as best as I could. I walked home, going past Henry's school to see him with his friends. As he sees me, he smiles at me and I return the gesture. I got to the apartment and relaxed on my couch. I closed my eyes and began to drift off. Come to me sleep! A loud knock came echoed throughout the empty apartment and I groaned. I got up and walked towards the door. Henry probably forgot his key. I opened the door and saw the man from earlier. He smiled at me with pure happiness.

"Riley," He breathed out in relief. You could see the joy on his face. He stepped towards me, but I back away with caution. My hand is in a fist. He stopped and his smiled dropped.

"Can I help you?" I asked. I looked at his attire and noticed that he was dressed like a pirate. His right hand looked fake.

"Do you remember me?" He asked with hope and I shook my head.

"No, should I?" I began to close my door, slowly. "Please, go away," I closed it even faster. Fear ran through my body. I tried to slam it, but it stopped. I looked down to see his black boot in the door. Shit.

"I know you can't remember me, but I'm your-" He tackled to the ground by Emma. I gasped as she straddled him with her gun to his chest.

"Stay away from my daughter before I call the cops!" She threatened and he held his hands up in defense. "Riley, go inside now," She commanded, but I just stared at them in disbelief. "Now!" I shut the door and scattered up to my bedroom. I laid on my bed and huffed out. I closed my eyes and drifted off into my own little dreamworld. I was awakened by a silent knock on my door. I got up and opened it. Henry was there.

"Mom went out with Walsh. Wanna play some video games?" Henry held up two gaming consoles. I nodded and followed him into the living room. We played video games all night until we passed out on the couch. I woke up again and it was morning. I smelled Emma's pancakes. It was Saturday. I was still on the couch and I got up, walking into the kitchen. Emma looked tired. I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her waist, resting my head on her shoulder.

"You look tired. I can make breakfast," I offered, but she shook her head.

"Walsh proposed last night," I shocked at her words. Emma was never the marrying type. Henry's father broke her heart. I pulled away from her and leaned against the counter.

"What did you say?" I asked.

"I said I'd think about it," Emma seemed different today. That happy sparkle wasn't in her eyes. Suddenly, there was another knock on our door. Emma was alarmed.

"I'm going to go get dressed," I told her and dashed towards my room. I quickly throw on a sweater and pair of black jeans. A knock sounded on my door this time. I opened it and saw Emma.

"We need to talk," She said with haste.