chapter 22 ✦ dream or reality

At Sea

Hook's Point of View: 

I was back on the Jolly Roger at my desk when Mr. Smee came rushing in.

"Captain! We're under attack," He told me. I quickly got up and grabbed my best sword from my  weaponry cabinet. I went to the upper deck to see my crew everywhere. My crew was fighting as best as they could. I joined in the thrill. I lifted my sword and started to fight but the person blocked it. I looked up to see Riley, my daughter. She smiled, but it turned into a smirk. An evil smirk. 

"Hello Papa," She greeted, grinning. 

"Aren't you supposed to be in Neverland?" I asked, surprised she was even here. She shook her head and twirled the sword in her hand. She stopped and stuck it into the wooden floor. 

"I was looking to have some sword fighting practice like the old days," She smiled. "Remember?" 

"For what?"

"For the final attack." She answered like it was obvious. She drew her sword out of the floor and pointed it at me. "I've been in many battles, but I thought I could use some tips from my dear father," She explained. I looked at her funny. "Teach me," She said. I bashed my sword against hers, making the first move. I noticed the crew and the attackers were gone, making us the only ones on the ship, but I kept going. I lifted my sword in the air but she blocked it, smirking.

"You're a natural, just like your mother was," I complimented. She giggled, still fighting me.

"And you are the best teacher a daughter could hope for," She shot back. I smiled. "I think you're a little rusty though." 

"I don't think so," I laughed at her playfulness. "Riley, this is everything I could've hoped for you," I said, contacting my sword with hers.

"Me too," She said, becoming quiet. She frowned, stopping. "It's a shame I never got it," She growled, her eyes darkening at me. They were almost black. I lowered my sword, confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked. She chuckled, throwing her head back in laughter. She was something else. Demonic. 

"I'm not really here. I was never here. I should be, but I'm not and all for one reason," She explained, backing up towards the edge of the ship. "You failed me," She blurted. Lightning struck and the wind was picking up. The steering wheel was spinning out of control which made the ship spin too. I fell to the ground and looked up. Riley was lifted in the air. I quickly got up and reached up, jumping. I grabbed her hand, tightly, trying not to let go. I pulled her down to the deck, but she seemed to get stronger by trying to pull away from me. A lifeboat appeared out of thin air and it floated in the air, swirling above us. Riley looked up at it, tears falling down her cheeks. 

"Goodbye, Papa!" She screamed over the commotion. I shook my head and tried to pull her to me.  

"I'm sorry! I'll save you!" I yelled back and she shook her head back and forth. 

"No, you can't save me! You failed me!" She hissed through her gritted teeth. "There's nothing you can do!" She screamed, being drawn closer to the lifeboats.

"No, Riley!" I cried, still holding on. "I won't let go of you! Not again! Not ever!" 

"Don't fail me again," She breathed. With that she let go. I fell to the ground in my attempt to reach out for her. She was dragged to the lifeboat. When her body fell in, the boat was sucked into the storm and into the water. It zoomed in the opposite direction and got further away from me at an incredible speed. 

"Riley!!!" I screamed, tears coming down my face. The ship stop shaking. Then I heard a faint voice in my head.

"Don't fail me again,"

Enchanted Forest

I shot from my slumber, panting. I looked around to see Peter and Riley huddled up together against a tree. I sighed with relief, my chest falling and my heart calming down. It was only a dream. I fell against the tree I was laying against and closed my eyes again, hoping that dream wouldn't come back to haunt me.