Chapter 3

July 2nd, 2018・Jai

I woke up, glancing at the alarm clock, which read eight-thirty in the morning. Pretty early for a Saturday, but I couldn't sleep anyways. Elle had already gotten out of bed, she was probably in the kitchen making breakfast. I opened the door, expecting light noise, but was met with silence. I looked around, wandering over to the fridge. I pulled out a carton of milk and closed the door, seeing Elle's figure hurry to the door.

"Elle? Where are you going?" I mumbled, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Jai!" She said, jumping. For a second, there was surprise on her face, before it quickly turned to an unamused expression. She cleared her throat. "You're awake."

"Yeah, I am. Where are you going this early on a Friday?"

"Just hitting the gym."

"I thought your sessions were only Monday through Thursday."

"Cade thought a little early yoga with the group would be fun."

"With that much makeup? Won't it run?"

"Someone suggested we go out for brunch later, and I wouldn't have any time to come home and get ready again."

"Didn't you say last week that your yoga buddies were going to a beach retreat today, but you couldn't join because of your friend's event?"

"God, could you just stop being so paranoid? Just because I said they were going doesn't mean everyone went!" She sneered before glaring at me one last time, slamming the door on her way out. I stared at the door for a minute after she left, eventually grabbing my coffee mug from the machine, pouring milk into it, letting my mind drift. Elle and I, somehow finding our way back to each other. Elle and I, arguing countless times. Elle and I, lying to each other over and over again. Elle and I, still together, wondering which one of us is going to end it and when. I set down my empty mug in the sink and walked to the shower.

The open textbook in front of the practice guide pulled up on my computer stared back at me. I had my finals in less than a week, and I couldn't score higher than a 60. Studying wasn't really working out for me either. I sighed, running a hand over my face. I'll figure something out eventually. I pulled on a black t-shirt with my worn out jeans, running a hand through my hair. At least I managed to accomplish one thing today, and that was getting dressed. So far, so good. I walked out to the kitchen, opening the cabinets looking for my cereal. We were all out. I shrugged, already looking for my keys. Going to buy some more would give me something to do and take my mind off of my finals.

I pushed a cart through aisles surrounded by tall shelves filled with food. I paused, glancing down at the scrap of paper clutched in my hand, a sad excuse of a grocery list. Cereal, tomatoes, spinach, and ice cream, because I needed at least one thing to look forward to coming home. I pulled a cardboard box off the shelf, tossing it into the cart. I looked up, seeing an unmistakably familiar face. I rushed forward, turning the corner into another section of the supermarket. I scanned the room, looking for her, but she was gone. Defeated, I pushed the cart back towards the cashier, wondering if she was really there in the first place.

"Jai, are you ready yet?" Elle called from the bedroom, the soft tinkling of her jewelry mixing with her voice. I stood up from the sofa, grabbing my phone on the way to the door.

"Yeah, I am. Are you?" I responded, shuffling through drawers looking for the keys.

Her heels made a heavy clicking sound as she walked closer, grabbing her purse and opening the front door. "Let's go."

We pulled into the entrance of the hotel, and I got out to open the door for Elle. I dropped the keys in the hands of the boy manning the valet stand, and I held my arm out for her. She took it, giving me a tight smile before leading us inside. Once we entered the ballroom, Elle let go of my arm before striding across to some other girls in the corner, excitedly waving and embracing each of them. I sighed, shuffling over to the table overflowing with food, using a pair of chopsticks to put pieces of sushi on my plate.