Chapter 2

My parents were careful people, especially my mother. There were just a handful of times where she took her hair out of that tight bun and let it blow through the wind. One of those moments was when she first met my father twenty-five years ago.

It was her twenty-third birthday, and she went to the light festival with her friends. As darkness seeped into the sky, the town lit up. Thousands of colorful lights brightened the town and the tiny light bulbs seemed to glow brighter by the second. Every year, she would attend the festival for the rasgullas, a sweet sponge doused in a sugary sauce. She would let the syrup soak into the sponge and wait for the perfect moment to take a bite. It would always happen to be when the fireworks would crackle over the town. As her friends cheered around her, she would close her eyes and take the first bite.

It was different that year.

My mother went to the street vendor to order rasgullas while her friends went ahead to find seats. Her order was ready, and she turned around to join her friends. She was immediately met with a wall that appeared out of nowhere. Surprised, she dropped her bowl of sweets which bounced off the ground.

My mother was about to tell this wall off when she realized it was actually a man who caused this distress.

"I'm sorry," the man apologized.

My mother rolled her eyes. She wasn't in the mood to make conversation. Ignoring the man, she turned back around to the vendor to place another order of rasgullas.

"I just ran out," the street vendor stated.

Without her birthday treat, there was no reason for my mother to stay at the festival. She could now crawl into her bed and wait until her next birthday for her favorite sweets.

"Hey, I'm to blame for this mess," the man piped.

He was still standing behind her with a sheepish smile.

My mother turned back around with a scowl. This man was not leaving her alone. He could have just left and let her go about her night.

"It's okay. It was just a birthday treat," my mother said as she tried not to sound so defeated.

"I have some rasgullas back at my table. We can share it if that's fine with you."

That got my mother's attention. She was desperate for the sweets, even if it meant sharing with a stranger.

With a quick nod, she followed the stranger through the crowd. His table was in the middle of one of the prettiest lights display she had ever seen. They took their seats at the table and my mother caught sight of those gorgeous sponge cakes.

"I feel like it's awkward sharing rasgullas without knowing your name," the man chuckled.

"I could say the same for myself," my mother replied.

"My name is Devesh. I just moved here last month."

My mother smiled. She was born and raised in this small town. She practically knew everybody, so it was nice to see a new face.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Preeti."

"Well, I guess we should go ahead and eat the sweets," my father said, handing her a spoon.

Together, they split the rasgulla in half with their spoons and took the first bite. Right at that moment, the fireworks went off behind them and it was magical.

...

That's the story of how my parents met.

Shortly after the festival, they went out a couple of times. It was a fast-paced romance that has lasted for twenty-five years. My dad popped the question at a mithai store. He asked the mithai maker to cook the ring into the rasgulla, so my mother could discover it.

Of course, my mother said yes after she almost swallowed the ring. She nearly inhaled the rasgullas when my father handed her the plate, nearly missing the ring itself.

My father always joked that my mother only said yes so, she could get more rasgullas. He would crack the joke on their anniversary after my mom had ten pieces of those delicious sweets.

It was beautiful to see how after all those years, they were still together and supported each through everything.

After their wedding, they traveled the world for six years. They spent each month in a different country and met so many kind people along the way. Among the many towns they resided in, their favorite was a small village called Oaks. It was named after the Greek God, Zeus. Oak is an important symbol to Zeus and represents protection. Oak trees grow on every corner of this village. I called this town home for most of my life. My parents chose this location to keep me safe and the beauty was an added bonus.

One day, my mother walked into the kitchen where my father was cooking dinner. Her face looked like a deer caught in the headlights. In her right hand, she held a positive pregnancy test.

"Devesh, I'm pregnant," my mother whispered as if somebody was listening in on their conversation.

"Preeti, that's wonderful news," my father exclaimed as he gave my mother a big hug.

"No, you don't understand, Dev. The baby will be due around the end of May."

My father broke the hug and leaned against the counter. He understood why my mother was scared.

"So that means- ", my father started.

"-that our child will be a Gemini."