two

irl

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

"my friends are waiting for me, i'll see you later" i smiled at my mom as she gave me a peck on the cheek and waved me off.

as soon as i opened the door Brynn started honking matched with Mandla yelling" IT'S JUNIOR YEAR BITCH!" out of the window, causing me to let out a chuckle and shake my head. I had missed our little trio altogether.

"DID YOU NOT HEAR HIM? ITS JUNIOR YEAR AND I DONT WANT TO BE LATE ON THE FIRST DAY" Brynn called out as I ran down the driveway. "thanks for waking the whole neighbourhood up guys" i sneered at my two best friends.

"whatever, you guys need to tell me everything that happened while i was gone" Brynn said . " you didn't miss a lot, it was honest boring without you" Mandla joked trying to annoy me, which I returned a sarky frown to.

"well i find that hard to believe considering Kenzie seems to have a new bestie" Brynn hummed with a sting of jealousy in her tone. "oh come on Brynn, it's not like that - you're obviously my bestie" i replied trying to reassure her. i knew instantly she was referring to Emily Skinner since Mandla and Brynn were basically my only friends but over the summer I became friends with Emily, one of the 'popular' girls in our year.

"who are you guys on about?" Mandla interrupted as we pulled up to the school car park. "Emily Skinner" we both said in unison, " she's actually really nice, but we only hung out a few times cause her nana just moved in next door" i explained. "okay kenz, i was only joking anyway" Brynn grinned but I could tell she was still a bit unnerved.

we all climbed out the car and the conversation changed to Brynn's summer in Hawaii while we found our way to home room.

the first four periods went fairly fast as most of the lessons was spent on admin since it was the start of a new year. at lunch i entered the cafeteria and started scanning the room for Brynn or Mandla who I found bickering near the vending machines.

"Kenzie finally! please explain to Brynn that if she doesn't put any money in the machine nothing will come out" Mandla emphasised. "shut up! it worked last year" Brynn ranted giving the machine a shake which gained attention from the people around us.

"Brynn stop, people are staring" I hissed, feeling my cheeks flare in embarrassment while Brynn continued to fight the vending machine.

"hey Mackenzie!" I heard a perky voice from behind me. I turned around to see Emily and all her friends sat around the table behind us, staring at Brynn in amusement. by now i could feel my cheeks burning and mentally i was dying inside. "hey Emily, how have you been?" i asked trying to play off how mortified i was feeling underneath.

"i've been good thanks, we were wondering if you and your friends want to come sit with us?" Emily grinned at us although I could tell by some of the others faces it wasn't a unanimous decision.

"yea sure" I complied trying to diffuse the awkwardness of the situation. Mandla had finally pried Brynn off the vending machine and we all sat at the table in the three empty seats.

Brynn was evidently still annoyed about the vending machine so she sat in silence with a quivering pout which I guess Carson picked up on as he offered to pay for her food. if it was me i would had politely declined but of course Brynn couldn't say no to free food and practically sprinted to the machine, making most of the table laugh.

I examined everyone else who were currently deep in conversation about how they all spent their summer, everyone except Nadia and Johnny. Nadia was perched on Johnny's lap, her fingers playing with his hair and a gaze of awe on her face. however he didn't seem anywhere near as interested, focusing more attention on his pizza which brought a smirk to my face.

Johnny was probably the most attractive guy at our school, or at least that's what i believed. i'd never spoken to him but i had spent the past five years admiring him from afar. there was something different about him than the rest of his friends that intrigued me.

i must have been staring at Johnny for a while because by the time i was done Brynn was back by my side and i could feel Nadia's eyes burning into me. i wasn't the only one who felt the tension since Emily quickly tried to make conversation, " so Mackenzie" she began, " it's just Kenzie" Brynn retorted, hardly audible with her mouth filled with fries.

i gave Emily a sympathetic smile indicating for her to continue. "well Kenzie, are you guys coming to Lauren's party on friday?" Emily queried. I gave Lauren a slight expression of confusion since we had never been invited to a party before but she quickly responded, " yea you guys should totally come." before i could even open my mouth Mandla had chimed in, "yea we'll be there."  "okay great, see you there then," Lauren exclaimed.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒
first irl chapter!! kind of boring ik but it will get better lmao. pls vote and comment <3