"Hi," I smiled. 

"Hi..." he said absentmindedly, his eyes traveling up and down my body. 

"Do I look all right?" I asked, wiping my clammy palms on the dress before straightening it out. 

"You look beautiful," he said, his voice coming out breathy and low. "My God, you look amazing," he said, his eyes snapping up to mine. 

"Thank you, you look very handsome," I chuckled, dusting off his blazer. 

"I can't wait to be head over heels in love with you, nonetheless," he said casually with a shrug before taking my hand and leading us downstairs and out before anyone could realize. He opened the car door for me and helped me in before getting in and starting the drive. It was no longer than a fifteen, maybe twenty-minute drive so, on the way, we just talked about trivial things. 

Now, Mr. Albert doesn't live in a palace, but it is most certainly a freaking mansion. 

We headed inside and he grabbed my hand, linking my arm through his. "Ready?" he asked. 

I nodded, taking in a breath before we entered the mansion. 

There were people scattered through the entire ground floor, some going out into the backyard, mainly men going to smoke. The women were all standing around with glasses of wine, chattering to others. This is the first public gathering I'm at with Archer as his... I don't even know what he's going to introduce me as. Either way, this is my first time facing such a large crowd of rich and royal people altogether. And I am anxious and intimidated, to say the least. 

"Archer!" 

Both of our heads snapped forward upon hearing Mr. Albert. I spotted him quickly, making his way over to us with his wife on his arm wearing a gown I remember packing for her personally. They greeted Archer and he greeted them just as politely before they turned to me. 

"I'm sure you already know her, but this is Evelyn," he chuckled. 

I got a quick hug from them both and then Mr. Albert turned to Archer. "And how come you are attending with Evelyn?" he asked with a knowing smile on his lips. 

"I'm not supposed to say, I'm sure you know why," Archer nodded with a small smile. He lowered his voice, "But she's my girlfriend." 

My head whipped in his direction while I stared at him, dumbfounded as I processed it. 

"I am so glad he suggested you speak to her," his wife chuckled. "You're such a beautiful girl, perfect for him," she grinned at me. 

"Thank you," I smiled, laughing softly. 

"Perfect to keep him in check, I agree," Mr. Albert nodded. 

Archer playfully rolled his eyes, feigning annoyance while I laughed along with Mr. Albert who found his own joke very amusing. "You two enjoy the party," his wife smiled before they left, continuing to greet other guests. 

After no more than thirty minutes, everyone was ushered to an open area and told we had to dance. It wasn't a choice, we had to do it. Not that I mind. 

"I'm hungry, when are they setting up for dinner?" I mumbled to myself while Archer pulled me to a free spot, pulling my arms around his neck and putting his around my waist. 

"After the dancing, they'll start serving dinner," he chuckled, pulling me closer, my body pressing into his. 

I looked up at him, my eyes locking with his. My lips broke out into a smile instinctively. "You look very pretty," I chuckled softly. 

He grinned, stealing a kiss from my cheek discreetly. He pulled back, staring at my lips. 

I shook my head softly. "Don't. People will know," I whispered. 

"I couldn't care less," he mumbled. "I feel like I'm on fire, being so close to you," he added. 

I watched him silently. 

"Like my soul is on fire." 

"Continue," I grinned. 

He chuckled. 

"Your soul, huh?" 

He nodded. "You set my soul on fire," he said, narrowing his eyes at me slightly. 

"Thank you," I laughed. "For quoting Tom and Jerry." 

"I was hoping you'd catch it," he grinned, leaning in slightly. 

I thought I shouldn't lean in and I should keep the distance between us tolerable, but my body had a mind of its own. I leaned in, the urge to kiss him hitting me with an overwhelming amount of power. I held my breath while he leaned in. "Don't do it," I mumbled, stuttering over my words. 

He smiled, leaving a kiss on the tip of my nose. 

I chuckled, putting my head down on his shoulder. 

He grabbed my hand, pushing me out before rolling me in, my back going against his chest. He rolled me out again while I started laughing and then he pulled me closer, spinning me around once. "You know what I think, Evelyn?" 

"What?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at him. 

"I think you're falling in love with me," he smirked, mocking my words. 

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head with a smile. "Don't be stupid." 

"You don't be so naive. You are falling in love with me," he smirked. 

I laughed humorlessly, getting closer to him. I leaned in, my lips barely brushing against his, clearly catching him off guard. 

"Are you serious?" he mumbled. "Are you trying to make me lose my mind? Because you really are teasing me." 

I chuckled, taking a step back because it was too risky and too dangerous. Someone here could easily see us and then tell the queen, especially the council members. And then I would probably be thrown out because even if he wants me the most, as he says, I know we're not supposed to fool around and get so intimate. And that is exactly what we're doing. 

"Evelyn," he mumbled. 

I raised my eyebrows at him inquisitively. 

He jerked me closer and crashed his lips on mine. And I froze. We are so dead by tomorrow.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 37

Ladies, all my brown girls

who is your favorite Bollywood actor? I'm curious

next chapter: disgrace