Chapter Six

Remington accepted the tea as Ivy worked on him, as Emerson took the time to absorb the news. The fact he would receive answers to his questions. The ones that lurked in his mind just out of reach like fish swimming away when they notice him. He had a net to finally cast. Both he and Remington did. 

Tears welled up in his eyes as he thought of it, rubbing his face, streaking his make up. "How do we start?" he asked quietly, as Ivy finished putting ointment and bandaids on Remington's forehead. "It has the answers here... the library does... how do we start?" the urgency in his voice made Remington turn to him a bit more confused. 

Ivy stood slowly and threw away the trash. "How we start is getting you both some rest." There was no room for questions as Ivy spoke, "You're both exhausted. You need to rest. I will help in the morning." 

Remington nodded accepting the answer, but Emerson's jaw dropped, "But-"

"I know you're eager. I know you are... but you are tired and hungry as well. I need to put up wards against your brother. I can feel him lurking outside wanting in." He stated, dusting his hands off as he gave him a smile, "Let me do my job first. Protecting those within the library so I can help you more."

Remington's hand touched Emerson's shoulder, "Let him. You need food and to relax before we do anymore... Please. I want answers too..." he vowed.

As Ivy left, he stared after him before grabbing a teacake to chew on, mostly to keep himself from blurting out his dismay. The flavor was delightful as usual and he hummed softly as Remington took one as well, eating it calmly, savoring the sweetness it offered. Emerson took the chance to look at his brother, pondering for a moment. "Rem... why did you jump between me and Sebastian?"

The elder paused for a moment before smiling, "Because... something hasn't been right since our deaths... and I want to get to the bottom of it... Our bodies were left in the lake... but if Sebastian's was pulled out of the lake..."

Then it struck the young nixe.

"...who is Sebastian really?"

Remington pointed at Emerson with a smirk. "See? That's why you're the smart one."

It was patronizing but... Remington had a clear point.

A nixe could not be... without the body completely decomposed into the lake... so who was the one who wore Sebastian's face? It was a frightening thing to consider... but... looking back it made the most sense. Sebastian when he had been alive had been a loving brother, always protecting them both... keeping them from ridicule... bending over backwards to keep the pair safe. When he had gone missing Remington and Emerson both had been dreadfully lost. Horribly lost and confused. Everyone else had assumed Sebastian had run away...

Emerson felt sick as he thought about it more. "Who is that nixe..."

Remington sighed softly, "We'll find out... but that is definitely not our brother. Our brother would have never attacked you. I had my reservations about him for years..." he whispered, pulling the nixe into his side. "All the things he told us could very well be lies."

"...do you think we could be happy?"

Hope. A moment of hope.

Remington looked at his brother before speaking.

"I know we can. I was once before 'Sebastian' found out."