Chapter 9: Thank You

"Newt..."

Tears filled up in her eyes, "Newt, I... didn't mean to worry you like that."

"Ah, shucks, I mean, don't cry. It's ok."

A small, gentle knock sounded on the door as it opened and Alby walked in.

"Hey, ya feelin' ok," He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Erica responded. "Just a bit tired."

"Whaddya see?"

"I can't remember, but I think it'll come to me.

"Let me know if anything does." He said as he walked back out again. I closed my eyes and sighed. I felt the pull of sleep and I accepted it.

"Hey, Erica. You've been sleeping for way too long. You've gotta wake up." Newt said.

"Leave me alone, please." Erica said, with her eyes still closed.

It's been a year later and still no one has found a clue as to how to get out.

Erica sped up her pace and then turned another corner. She knew exactly how to go about her business running endlessly through a maze. She turned another corner and found herself back at the door she came in from. She placed her hands on her knees and breathed heavily. She stood up as she caught her breathe and wiped the sweat from her forhead. Newt walked up to her.

"Hey. How was your day?" He asked.

"Fine. I'm gonna go take a shower." She said as she walked towards the Homestead.

She stood in the tub as the cold water washed away all the sweat from her body. She stepped out the tub and wrapped a towel around her body tightly then ran into the closest room to her.

Erica dropped the towel and put on her underwear then her pants. As she reached for her shirt, the door opened and then shut.

"Oh...I...I didn't know you were in here." Newt said. Erica turned her head around without turning her body and saw Newt with his hand over his eyes.

She put her shirt on and turned around. "It's ok, you can put your hand down now."

Newt put his hand down and smiled sheepishly. "I'm really sorry. I did know your were in here. It's my fault."

"Don't worry about." She smiled back at him.

"Newt..."

He looked her in the eyes. "What's up?"

Erica looked down with a blush on her face. "T-thank you."

"For what?"

"For being there for me during when I got stung by a Griever."

"There's no need to apologize at all."

"No! There is. You stayed by my side even when I woke up. Thank you." Erica wrapped her thin arms around Newts waist. "Thank you."

"You're still wet." Newt mumbled. He put his chin on her head and put his arms around her. "Then you're welcome."

"Thank you." She repeated. She held on to him even tighter, being around Newt mad Erica feel safer. He was her best friend and it was like he was the only person she could talk to.

"You don't have to keep thanking me y'know."

"But I have no other words to say."

"Then just stay quiet. I know what you mean. You don't have to repeat it all the time."

"I know."

"I'll protect you always."

"..."

"I'd jump in front of a griever for you."

"...! Newt!" The tears came back in her eyes and she cried heavily. Erica buried her face into his chest and wept like a baby.

"What are you crying about?"

"I'm sorry." Her face still in his chest. "I'm sorry!"

Newt put his hand on her head and pet her head. "You don't have to apologize. You're thanking me and then you apologize."

"I just feel like a burden to you, it's my fault that you jumped off the wall that night!"

"It's not your fault. It's mine. I was just so tired of being stuck in here for a whole year. But if it weren't for you, I'd be dead...so it's my turn to thank you...so thank you."

Erica calmed down and sniffled. "Yeah." She lifted her head and looked him in the eye. Her heart raced when she noticed him leaning into her. She did the same.

Just centimeters away, Erica pulled back. "Sorry. I should be going."

"Yeah."

Erica left the room and went to the one next door. She sat on the bed and sighed. What just happened? She asked herself, even though she didn't know the answer.

The next day was like every other, scoping the maze trying to find any clues. Erica leaned against the wall and sighed as the sunlight burned at her skin. She took a water bottle from her bag and took a long sip. Her mind was cloudy and she could think straight. It wasn't because she had just run a mile through the maze. She packed up and started to head back. She came back into the glade and headed straight back to the map room. She sat down and started drawing.

Erica finished up her work and sat outside under the tree.

"Hey." Newt said as he walked up to her he sat down.

"Sup." She leaned her head on his shoulder.

"How was your day? Find anything?"

"It was normal as usual. Didn't really find anything. You?"

"Nothing. Except that I found out that I'm in love with you."

"Huh?" She sat up straight and looked at him. He looked serious. He meant what he said. "You what?"

"I love you, Erica. I can't get you out of my head and I want to be around all the time. I bloody love you. I really do."

Her face turned red. "I'm sorry." She stood up quickly and walked to the homestead. She couldn't comprehend what was going in. Newt loved her. The question was, did she love him too?

Later that night, Erica was having trouble falling asleep, what Newt said to her was clawing away at her mind. She sat up and considered what she was about to do. She stood up and walked over to the room next door, to Newt's room.

She knocked on his door and opened it. It was hard to tell in the dark if he was awake but he was. He pulled back the sheets, letting her stay with him. Erica crawled in next to him. "I love you too." She said softly.

He looked at and smiled. He held her chin up and kissed her lips gently.