𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

Start from the beginning

"Your hair is already beautiful."

       Sayo ducked her head down slightly, using the strands of her hair as a curtain to hide the heat that flamed below the skin of her cheeks. She then mumbled as he removes his hand, "Thanks."

       They continued walking in silence once again, with Sayo now lifting her head up properly to stare across the path leading her to the same destination every day. Now that she thought about it, whenever they walked home together (which was almost all the time), it was always dark or about to go dark.

She could not quite remember the time when she walked with Shinsuke whilst being able to see bright surroundings, because all she saw was the yellowish and orange hues that bled over each spot of the street. Towards their path home, they would come across lanterns hung outside of shops that they would occasionally pass by that were near the school, but then it would transition to lamp posts along the way.

Once her house came into their view, Sayo impulsively asked with an almost silent tone, "Do you want to meet my mom?"

Shinsuke gives her a look of surprise then cocked his head sideways, "Right now?" When she nods, he then questions, "Would it be alright for me to do so? I wouldn't want to intrude."

Sayo shook her head and lightly hit his shoulder with her palm, "No. You aren't intruding because I'm the one who is inviting you."

"Okay, then."

-o-

Upon first seeing Sayo's house from a few meters away the last time, he felt this pull inside his gut that wanted to walk inside and fill the emptiness and diminish the desolate feeling that probably triggered his soulmate's emotions. There was this great impression of vacancy even if it appeared cramped with the interior walls' distance being quite short, and filled with their small apartment are filled with furniture and a few appliances.

As Shinsuke gently closed the door behind him, he tried to take in every corner of their house that looked so dim because of having only a single light bulb that lit up one portion of the house. One bulb for the living room and the kitchen, and one for each of their rooms – and it was not much because there were only two rooms there.

There were a few shelves with multiple picture frames trying to fit itself over a limited surface, and his lips lifted up slightly when he sees a picture of Sayo, as well as who he guessed was her mother. She looked to be about nine at the time as she smiled in front of the camera, presenting her teeth that had a small space between the middle with her mother having an equally large grin, her arms placed over her daughter's shoulder and her head leaning over Sayo's.

"Oh uh, sorry if it's a little shitty. I haven't cleaned here yet." Sayo told him while he shook his head, mumbling that he didn't mind. She lifted up the plastic bag in her hand that contained the ramen and strawberry mochi that they had bought beforehand then said, "Okay, let's go to mom."

Sayo opened the door that was literally right beside the kitchen. She twisted the door knob and opened it as Shinsuke swallowed the liquid that had built up by his throat unknowingly. He bit his lip and looked at her mother's face that glowed against the Moon's light that reflected against their window.

"Hey, Mom. I'm home."

"Welcome back..." Her mother's coarse voice greeted.

It was similar to shards of crystal that marked over her face in the form of light that took the shape of diamonds and triangles. Its light presented how her skin almost appeared translucent as her visible blue veins ran from the top of her hand that led to her arms.

She opened her eyes slowly and asked, "Oh, who is this young man? What is your name, son?"

Shinsuke felt his heart warm at the nickname that she had called him – perhaps it reminded him too much of his own mother that was barely present in his life. It had been a long time since he had heard that.

"My name is Shinsuke Kita, Kai-san. I am a friend of your daughter." Shinsuke bowed his head politely with a kind smile.

"Hm... I see that you've found yourself a great man, Sayo-chan." Her mother teased before coughing lightly. Sayo immediately placed a hand over her arm, placing comforting motions over it while her mother shook her head and continued, "Ah, sorry about that. My name is Maria Kai, I'm sorry you had to meet me like this, Shinsuke-kun."

"No, it's alright Kai-san. I wish you the best and I hope you feel better soon."

Maria raised her brow at this and let out a light laugh that filled the empty house. Her laugh was quite high and quiet, causing Sayo to give out a small smile at the sight.

"Thank you, Shinsuke-kun, but I know that this body is too weak to continue fighting every day."

       Sayo whined at her mother's words, sending her a small glare at how negative and sad it all sounded, though she just covered up the reality with a laugh that could brighten the atmosphere. Maria's laughter slowly diminished, but her smile did not, "Just kidding, Sayo-chan. Now, Shinsuke..."

Maria's smile contorted to a serious expression with her lips forming to a thin line and her brows relaxing down. Shinsuke froze in his place and waited for her to continue speaking.

"What are your intentions with my daughter?"

_____