Chapter 5: Routines

They weren't even dating the first time Hermione and Severus woke up together. They were searching for a lost artifact that supposedly had been the cause of an earthquake that had happened. They were brewing a potion that would be able to trace the energy signature they found off of some rubble. It appeared to have a plasmic energy signature, they had never seen before in any type of magic. The artifact appears to have been dormant for centuries until the unexplained earthquake occurred two weeks ago. The artifact belonged to King James the second. It was believed that he was a muggle-born wizard and hid his magical abilities by transferring them into a dagger. A dagger he was given by the V when he served in the military. The dagger was described to have a blackened steel hilt featuring asymmetrical shell guards, pas d'ane, and heart-shaped pommel, all decorated ensuite with inlaid silver floral and geometric design. The blade was simple in design and was a standard length. When he died in 1701 one of his King's guards and trusted male counterparts was supposedly ordered to hide the dagger, so that no man could wield the King's greatness. However, hidden texts revealed that by removing his magic the King grew very sick not only physically but mentally as well. His mind succumbed to darkness and rage. His lover, recognizing the danger that the dagger possessed stole it in the dead of night and tried to destroy it. When he tried to destroy the blade it emitted an energy that caused a huge earthquake that destroyed the surrounding village. He hid it leaving behind a series of clues so that one day it could properly be destroyed. Scholars have searched for centuries for this dagger. Clues revealed that the King's soldier found a series of underground tunnels and in his grief planned to poison himself and be laid to rest in a secret cavern. His body was never found nor was the dagger. It is believed that he died with the dagger in his hands. Many have sought this dagger both in the muggle and magical world. The tale has been lost to history. Most people believe this story to be a myth. But most myths have a basis in fact.

When the earthquake happened most people just ignored it and passed it off as nature being nature. But not Hermione and Severus Snape. Severus was suspicious of the seismic power of the earthquake and approached Hermione to see if her abilities in arithmancy could be of any assistance to locate its origins. It was funny, Hermione introduced the King James' theory as a joke, reminiscing about the old folk tale. She had not expected Severus to understand what she was referring to. However, as luck would have it he was as well read as she was and was able to match up some coincidences between the two instances. At first, it was just a silly idea that humored the pair but it slowly transformed into a search for an incredible archeological find.

It took all night to brew and had to be stirred every two hours for three rotations and left to simmer for four. The two sat on the couch discussing new academic theories for hours until their topic of discussion turned to philosophical debates. They even talked about the hardships of reentering society after the war. His travels around the world and her conflicting thoughts of Harry getting married. This led into the early hours of the morning. Only stopping to review the potion. Once midday hit and the light shone through the windows, the glare woke the pair who somehow found themselves awakening next to one another as they laid on the couch side by side. Severus laid stretched out along the couch and Hermione found herself curled up to his side. She would have probably fallen off at some point if it wasn't for Severus' arm wrapped securely around her.

When they both were properly awake they quickly disentangled their limbs and separated. Severus stalked off mumbling about checking the potion while Hermione composed her flustered state while she ran a hand through her hair. Her fingers getting caught in her curls. It was strange how the two quickly fell asleep in the other's embrace. Sleep had always been a struggle for the two individuals. Which left the two so unnerved.

But it wasn't unpleasant.

They never discussed the implications that day. Or for any of the subsequent days either.