Chapter 1

"Your attorney will be coming soon, please wait." The security guard shut the door behind him as he left.

I looked around the lonely room. Four walls and no windows, one light above a table, and two chairs placed across from each other. I sat back on the plastic foldable chair, taking in the pathetic room because I had nothing else to do except wait. God, what did I do to get here.

My eyes bolted to the door knob that was moving, signaling to me that someone was coming. I braced myself.

Some guy walked in, lightly closing the door behind him as he entered. He wore a suit, his hair was a dirty blond, he looked over 6 foot tall, and he held a leather briefcase. With a serious tone, he greeted me, introducing himself, "I'll be your attorney."

I rolled my eyes upon seeing his face. As soon as I saw him I recognized him. "I don't fucking need you. Just let me get convicted at this point, it'll save my pockets and my fucking ass. Doesn't the state provide a free attorney or some shit." I knew this man was fucking expensive, I can't afford him.

"You've seen them, they're not gonna help you with shit." Clay chuckled as he sat down on the seat across from mine.

He wasn't wrong, they're all incompetent. "I don't have money for you." I shifted my gaze away from him.

He crossed his leg, the ankle of his left foot resting on his right knee. "You'll pay me back...eventually."

I scoffed, "So now I'm in debt." I looked back at him, my arms crossed.

He pulled a couple files out of his briefcase, flipping through and skimming them, "You could say that." He scooted his chair closer into the table.

I would pick a fight with him right now, but I'm desperate. I have no one else. I am alone.

"Did Wilbur ask you to do this?" I leaned closer to the table.

Clay didn't answer, he just kept on skimming through the files. So I took that as a yes.

"You don't have to do charity work." I rolled my eyes as I tried to get a glimpse of those files he was flipping through, but quickly gave up.

"I'm not doing this for you." He glanced at me, looking up from the papers, then back down. He then shut the files and slid them across the table for me to look through. He sighed before his next words, "Murder....didn't expect you to be the person to pull this kind of stunt." He tilted his head to the side while giving me a light smirk.

I scoffed at his arrogance as I opened the file.

"This is gonna be hard." He commented under his breath, but I still managed to hear it.

"So that's why Wilbur ditched me, huh." I mean, understood why he gave up on me, but nevertheless still disappointed.

Clay leaned closer to me, his arms resting on the table. "Be honest with me, y/n," He leaned in even closer, whispering to me, "Did you really do it?"

Offended, I glared at him. "No, I didn't."

Looking at his face, I couldn't tell if he believed me or not. "I don't know if that's gonna be a good thing or not." He leaned back in his chair. "Well, for me at least." Clay let out a small chuckle.

I fell silent. I couldn't think of another one of my passive aggressive replies to this arrogant ass. Giving up forgery of confidence that I had left I became more and more desperate with each second. Each second I had that I wasn't cooped up in that holding cell was precious and if I fuck up now I'll never get out there for a good 25 years to a fucking lifetime.

"I need help. I was framed, you gotta help me." I slammed my palms on the table as I forced my body closer to her, leaning on the metal table.

"Wow...you're desperate."  Clay commented, seeing the state that I was in. "Really desperate. Well, we have plenty of time, tell me everything."

I sighed, annoyed that I had to go through this again. I already explained everything to the police and detectives, but as expected, they didn't believe shit. "I can't believe I'm fucking doing this right now."

Clay gave me an impatient stare, urging me to hurry up already. "Well, I don't have all fucking day."

I rolled my eyes.