"You wanna see something?" Chato repeated, practically bellowing the words at the other man as they struggled to be heard over the other's shouting and mocking.

"Yes! I wanna see something!" Deadshot replied as if it was obvious, moving his head sideways.

Chato pushed Deadshot away from him with a loud growl. Deadshot fell limply to the ground in surprise. The fire wielding man took a few steps forward before unleashing just a tiny bit of the power he held inside of him. The fire fell over the creatures like a thick blanket or a feracious ocean that relentlessly attacked them until they were nothing more than burnt crisps.

All of the squad except for Lin jumped to the floor as soon as Chato demonstrated his power born of anger and repressed rage. She walked up to him, placing a tender hand on his hot arm.

"It's okay, Chato," she whispered so that none of the others heard. Not that they would hear her over the sounds the creatures' whimpers of pain before they succumbed to the fire, or the sound of the fire itself that was deafening as it roared around them. "You've proved your point, the stars are happy and so am I."

The two steady streams of fire were magnificent and terrifying. To think he had hidden all that from them, what if he had decided to use it on Deadshot instead of the creatures? Slowly the rest of the squad carefully came out of hiding when Chato didn't turn the fire on them, instead focusing on ridding them of the creatures.

By the time Chato stopped his demonstration he was panting softly and everyone stared at him and his fire with a sweet mixture of awe and fear.

The former gangster looked back at the man that provoked him, chest heaving and a tired look on his face. "I was just trying to get you there," Deadshot told the man earnestly. "Phil Jackson. We good, right?" he held his hands up in front of him as if Chato would do the same to him as he did the creatures.

Lin smiled at them, arm looped in Chato's. "Ain't mama glad her boys are getting along again," she giggled, patting Chato's arm softly. If her calling herself mama wasn't the strangest thing then her declaring Deadshot as one of her 'boys' was.

Harley jumped on Chato's side and kissed him on the cheek, happily telling him, "I knew you'd come through," in that sweet accent and voice that had men weak at the knees, but even that couldn't break the stare down between him and Deadshot.

"That shit crazy," the man who never misses declared with a soft scoff. Chato didn't reply but looked around him uncomfortably, eyes unfocused as if stuck in a memory, reliving what once was.

---

One of Flag's remaining men blew a hole in the building they were going to. They were so close to the target now but Flag still refused to tell them who it was.

The hole led into a stairway and after a few of Flag's men and himself passed through the small hole someone called out "clear" after making sure none of the blobs were lurking around.

Lin made sure she was next to go through, pushing and pulling others away from it. Several of them let out a series of sharp "hey"'s but she paid them no mind. She was a queen afterall and queens don't enter holes last, nor first.

Slowly the group made their way up the dirty, broken stairs and Lin was out of breath after the first step. Dust rose from the steps as they forced their way up, making several of the squad members let out sneezes that they desperately wanted to hide.

"Ya know the secret to not sneeze is to bite your tongue, right?" Lin told them after one of the guards sneezed for what must have been the fifth time since they started the journey. "Something 'bout not wanting to bite off the tongue."

"When did you get so smart?" Deadshot sarcastically shot back at her from his place two stairs up.

Lin scoffed and crossed her arms over her chest as she petulantly glared at the man. "I'll have you know I'm very smart! Jay tells me I am and he'd never lie to me."

"Whatever you say, crazy."

The gang was all quiet after that, no one daring to break the thick coat of tense, uncomfortable silence that had fallen over them. It was suffocating and unbearable and yet no one broke it, instead letting it fester and grow until the mood of the gang soured.

It was only several stairs later that Harley broke it by miserably saying, "I gotta work on my cardio," and leant over the railing to look down.

Her eyes went blank but a small smile grew on her painted lips at whatever memory she was reliving. Harley was oblivious to the rest of the gang moving past her, none bothering to check up on her even as her eyes remained fastened on something far below them and far away. The only one who even seemed to realise what was happening was Lin, who placed a soft kiss on her girlfriend's cheek and a tender squeeze on Harley's shoulder.

Lin kept on walking, knowing exactly where Harley's mind had wandered. She was tempted to think back on it but the consequences of her losing herself in the memory of her beloved was far more disastrous than one trip down memory lane was for Harley, who by the way was in the process of breaking up with the two of them.

It was only when Linnie heard the soft cocking of a gun and the whispered "Oh, relax. It's only me," from Deadshot and the frightened gasp from Harley that she realised Harley had awoken from her memory, and wasn't pleased at all. Her hands came down to grip the railing hard as another wave of pain hit her fragile heart, even if her love for the Joker would always trump anything else, she still loved Harley in her own way. Maybe the best way to lose Harley was to another who could love her in ways Lin and Joker never would.

"Have you ever been in love?" Lin heard Harley ask Deadshot, and Lin had to physically hold a hand to her chest to try and elevate the pain that gripped her heart when flashes of toxic green hair, pale skin with black tattoos and that wild smile popped back into her head, not that they ever left.

"Nah, never," Deadshot responded and Lin scoffed through her pain.

Harley shared the same feelings and scoffed at Deadshot. "Bullshit," she told him with that heartbroken tone still clear in her voice, as clear as the bitter tears in her eyes and the heavy feeling in her chest.

"You don't kill as many people as I've killed and still sleep like a kitten if you feel shit like love," he responded with that shit-eating grin he always wore. Lin wanted to scream out her frustrations at the lie. She's killed more than him, Joker more so than her and they both still loved each other more than anyone would ever understand.

"Another textbook sociopath," Harley remarked and Lin took that as her cue to leave.

AN: Three things.... 1. I never meant to go this long without updating, time just seems to fly nowadays. 2. I've officially started editing this book as my past writing is....not as good as it could be. 3. Some shameless self-promotion. A friend and I created a discord server dedicated to writing and reading. The link below leads to said server. I'd love to see you there! If not, I'll see you in the comments!

https://discord.gg/JxNq7y3f8f