Chapter 3 A Little Bit of Hope

The parents successfully survived their first sleep on the Space Pirate ship without anyone interrupting, however, since they were on guard duty, Spike and Aki were exhausted and fell asleep on one of the couches. They were hugging each other; Aki's head was resting on Spike's chest while he was snoring loudly.

"How does that not wake her up?" Trias wondered, sitting at the table with the others.

"They've been married for about twenty years," Anmo said, "long enough to get used to a noise."

"Twenty years...Woah," Cretacia murmured.

"That time passes very quickly," Chusei admitted, "Anmo and I have also been married for more than twenty years."

"That's wonderful." Trias smiled and nodded. He's usually not the guy to talk for a long time or to maintain small talk, however, he was aware that little moments like this one are what would keep them all from the hopelessness of the situation. "Cretacia and I have been married for only three years; she proposed to me out of nowhere."

"And it took weeks of planning," the blonde chuckled, "I just wish I managed to get that marching band on time..."

"It wouldn't make it any better or any worse," Trias told her, "it was perfect the way it was."

Cretacia giggled softly at that, however, her husband slowly lost that little bit of optimism as he continued.

"That was three years ago and now we have a 12-year-old son... Who would have thought...?"

"Life can be unpredictable," Chusei stated.

"This is quite a different level of 'unpredictable' than people usually refer to," Trias mumbled as a small smile returned on his face for a bit.

All of a sudden, in between Spike's snores, they heard a knock on the glass door. The four parents jumped off the chairs, alerted, tensed up, and ready for whatever was waiting outside behind the closed curtains.

"Is the stick one still unable to open the door?" Cretacia joked.

"What if it's not him?" Chusei asked quietly.

With eyes locked on the curtains, Anmo headed to the glass door.

"Anmo...! What are you doing...?!" her husband hissed nervously. Despite that, she continued and Trias followed her. Anmo swiftly opened the curtains, revealing what was standing outside the house. She gasped and launched herself back, bumping into Trias who stopped her by grabbing her shoulders in a reflex. She quickly jerked from his grip, glancing at the man behind her as she pulled away from him a little more, touching her shoulder, and slowly making sense of what happened.

The thing that was standing outside and was staring right at them was nothing like they'd ever seen before; a lavender-pink blob of gel shaped like a human body that was missing a head and a neck—its face seemed to be on its chest with one black eye in the middle with a bright pink light, the eye surrounded by hexagonal metal plates. This creature...it was just staring.

"What is that...?" Trias breathed.

The creature reached for the glass door and opened it. The parents hardened their glares whether they were scared or determined, but instead of the gel walking in, they heard a mischievous feminine laugh.

"Wow, you really are cowards, aren't you?"

A pale Space Pirate landed beside the creature, keeping her yellowish wings spread. Sheer... She was actually taller than the creature by nothing more than 5 centimeters.

"Being scared of a Gel Jark." She rolled her eyes as a devilish smirk crossed her face.

"A Gel Jark?"