One: Battle

(A/N)- this chapter takes place in episode 5 of the anime!

"With all due respect, Sir, I'm not part of the Garrison Regiment and I'm not a cadet. Why are you asking me to go out there with them?" You walked down the hall beside the one and only Commander Pixis, who walked casually but quickly with his hands folded behind his back. 

"I know you aren't fond of working with soldiers whose skills aren't on par with your own, Y/N. However, I'm afraid the cadets that are being sent out there won't be able to handle this on their own. You know how it is." He replied, solemnly. You scoffed and he turned slightly to look at you. His light, wrinkled eyes narrowed slightly. 

"Y/N, you are one of the most skilled soldiers I've seen in a long time. And since you had to stay behind during this latest expedition, but since you've recovered from your injury, I think it's only fair to have you back doing what you do best." He replied. 

You pursed your lips. "Cheer up. This'll be a good opportunity for you to sharpen your leadership skills. Remind Erwin why your rank is what it is. Besides, if you'd joined the military when you were supposed to, you'd probably be in with those cadets right now." Pixis continued. 

"Great. What an opportunity." You sighed. 

"Go on. Show those cadets what it means to be a soldier, Captain." 

Just a while ago, the news came that the gate that separated the city of Trost from the titan-infested interior of Wall Maria had been breached. Completely destroyed by the Colossal Titan. 

The Scout Regiment had been gone for a few days now. In a conversation with Levi, Hange, and Erwin, it was ultimately decided that you'd stay behind because of your recovering fractured ankle. You'd insisted that you were fine and could fight just as well, but Levi had argued strongly against your tagging along. And you'd known that he would argue until you gave in.

But days had passed since then and you were sure you'd fully recovered. There was no more shooting pain when you tried to walk or run and your balance had been restored. So, when the news came that the titans had made their way into Trost, you expected to be sent out to help somewhere, even though Erwin was gone. The next officer that had command over you, despite his differing regiment, was Pixis and he wasted no time sending you out. But you hadn't expected to be lumped in with the cadets. 

You sighed as you made your way out of the military headquarters. It was going to be a long day.

-------------

You could hear the briefing taking place as you found your way to the courtyard where over a hundred cadets were lined up. They all faced towards a bearded man with sunken eyes who was shouting orders at them. 

"I expect you all to man your posts knowing the Advance Team has been wiped out! That's right! The titans are in!" He shouted. Your eyes widened at that news. If only you'd heard about the breach sooner... Cursing under your breath, you stepped around a pillar. 

You walked around the square of soldiers, who's eyes widened as their shoulders tensed. Their faces, you noticed, were full of innocence. Untainted by the scenes on the battlefield you'd witnessed. It made you swallow hard before reaching the Garrison captain, who's voice trailed off as he saw you approaching. He turned to you. 

"Pardon my interruption, Captain Woermann, but Commander Pixis sent me to join the support team of the attack on Trost." You explained. A bead of sweat dripped down Woermann's forehead as he nodded slightly before clearing his throat. You stood beside him and turned to face the cadets. 

"Listen up! Cadets, you will be taking the middle guard, led by the support squad! Captain Y/N will be joining you, so follow her orders! Rear guard will go to the elites!" Woermann announced. Most of the cadets' unsteady glances shifted to you, and you offered them a gentle smile. Some of their eyes trailed to the Wings of Freedom on your shoulders of your jacket and small whispers erupted from the crowd, but were quickly silence by Woermann's harsh gaze. A pair of dark, rich green eyes lingered on you for a moment longer before turning back to the Garrison Captain. "Now, be aware that desertion is punishable by execution. If it comes to it, lay down your lives!" He shouted.