Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

"Go Spencer!" 

Spencer heard the voice, the same voice that's been yelling the whole game, echo across the field to where Spencer stood with her lacrosse stick. It was Ashley of course, she never missed a game. The short, blue eyed best friend stood in the same spot she always stands on home games in the stands closest to the concession stands, second row. The reasoning, Ashley said she comes 30 minutes before the game actually starts, was not only to get that specific seat and to watch Spencer warm up but was because she always says the best nachos are the first ones made.

"The cheese is just so delicious if you get the first one" Spencer remembers Ashley saying as she laughs while they were sitting in Ashley's big Subaru, half way through the season watching her blissfully recall the nachos she scarfed down only an hour before.

Now, being the Panthers last game to get to the finals, Ashley was just as stressed out as Kate about the big game, so the nachos were probably only halfway eaten.

Spencer was playing offensive, the best position she played. Her tall body was almost built for the ability to pass the ball from her net over the goalies head.

The game was 2 points from being tied, the panthers being in the lead. The other team, the mustangs consisted of rich kids from a neighboring town miles away, mostly to short and scrawny to take down the panthers.

Spencer looked behind her to where the ball was being passed from Panther to Panther. The mustangs eagerly trying to get in between the tight line. This play was the finally. Spencer had thought this through for the short time she had at half times. The plan worked as a sharp zig zag of panthers passing the ball. The mixture between the tall girls and short provided the mustangs much more of a challenge.

The ball was passed to a number 12, Jessica, who was the second to last person that would have the ball, Kate being last.

Just as Jessica was about to throw the ball to Spencer, a mustang, number 5, intercepted the throw. Spencer ran forward knocking into anyone that was in that way. Number 5 started to turn around but panthers surrounded her. Finally in a desperate escape, 5 threw the ball to a girl to the right of Spencer. This was Spencer's chance. She leaped forward, her long legs stretching far, stick straight out and caught the ball inches from the girl. From the distance she heard yells of satisfaction. Ashley was sure one of them.

Spencer turned on her heels and ran as fast as she could, with a far greater amount of agility then someone of her height would usually have.

The mustangs started crowding around her, but Spencer was too tall and too fast. The goal was insight and was getting closer each second. With her stick raising Spencer looked at a spot in the goal to the left, even though she planned on going in right, to trick the goalie.

Her stick went swiftly down, almost if she were scooping the ball up, and then quickly over her shoulder, while the goalie darted left. Spencer took one more step and lunged the stick as hard as she could into the goal.

The crowed that was filled of lacrosse panther fans went wild. The goalie went on her knees and starred at the ground while the mustangs went quiet. Kate turned around to her team just as they were running towards her with grins on their muddy faces.

The girl's coach and assistant coach joined in on the celebration. Some people laughing, some people crying, some people patting Spencer's head.

Spencer turned toward the stands to the concession stand, second row, and searched for her best friend.

She spotted her easily jumping up and down with a huge smile on her face. Her friends, the ones that thought lacrosse was cool enough, were standing next to her talking to boys twice their age. One boy that was standing next to Ashley starring at her, was Matt. Ashley wasn't paying attention to the boy, but something about his presence annoyed Spencer.

Spencer broke through the crowded team and ran towards Ashley, while Ashley started down the bleachers.

As Spencer neared Ashley, the same feeling she always get occurred. It was the feeling of wrapping her arms around Ashley and never letting go, never letting that smile fade from her face. This was a thought that happened on a regular basis, but was pushed aside, from the fact that Ashley and her had been best friends since kindergarten and Ashley wasn't interested in that way of course.

"You did it Spencer! You brought the team to finals!" Ashley exclaimed once they reached each other.

Ashley grabbed Spencer for an embrace, Spencer smelled the perfume that Ashley always wore, and the brief smell of cigarettes, the nasty habit that Ashley picked up when she was younger, how such an innocent girl got into that will always be a mystery. Even though it's not a secret around the school that Ashley isn't such the innocent do gooder she perceives herself to be.

Both the girls started jumping up and down with joy.

"So you know what this means huh?" Ashley asked

"PARTY!!!!" Spencer yelled back over the crowd that started to disperse to their own parties.

"Matt told me about this party down in south side, it's supposed to be huge. Everyone is going." Ashley said

"Ew, Matt." Spencer said with disgust as they stopped jumping. 

"You know he totally likes you right?" She didn't want her best friend dating a creep like that.

"Yes of course I know. How do you think we got invited?" Ashley said with a grin.

"I gotta get changed real quick and then we can go I suppose." Spencer said briefly before walking towards the changing room.

"It will be fun I promise! You need a break. Relax!" Ashley yelled out, laughing which made Spencer stop in her tracks.

Spencer rolled her eyes then turned and left Ashley once again to go get the car, while she changed in the locker room. Something about this night seemed like it was going to be a long one.