Chapter: Revelations

"What is a businessman and a CEO?" Claire asked

"A businessman is a person is similar to a merchant yet different. A merchant most deals in trade whereas a businessman can be in trade or provide resources such as gold and silver. Now the CEO is the head of a business basically man or woman who is in charge of a company."

"I think I get it now, so why didn't you become a businessman"

"Well I tried to apply being a salesman, but my mother sent me a letter telling me that she would not hire me because it would look like favoritism. So, I in a fit of anger I tried to apply at her competitor which turned me down because they thought I would steal company secrets."

"Wow, that seems harsh."

"That's not even worse of it. That letter was first time she contacted me since I was born. Not being able to work for my family's company I decided to join the military. I was debating with our family butler who pretty much raised me on which branch I should enter. When I got a letter in the mail from my father saying that if I joined the Navy that he would personally make my life a living hell. So, I decided to get as far away from the Navy as possible leading me to join the Army."

"Quick question what is a butler?" Claire asked again as they began to approach Anne Arundel's Town

"A butler is basically a servant that you pay to perform chores around a home such as cooking and cleaning."

[You do realize that she probably only got the gist of what you said]

Grant watched as the people in front of him began to get off their wagons as Amelia approached him with an older man.

"Greetings, Traveler, my granddaughter tells me that you were the one that rescued our people."

"That is true, sir, but I would not have found them if it wasn't for my own arrogance."

"Well, aren't we lucky that your arrogance lead you down the path that would cause you to encounter our caravan." Grant nodded as the elder continued "In accordance to our traditions we must offer you something in return for saving 12 of our people. But, the only thing I could think of that could equal the lives of 12 of our people would be the ownership of my great granddaughter Claire Carver." the old man said

"But I told your granddaughter I didn't require any payment, sir, I just wanted directions to the nearest town."

"Indeed, that may be the case, but we cannot take care of Claire the loss of her father has left me without a successor and she is of no value to us. The best I can do is hope that my granddaughter can have another child with the man who would succeed me.

"But sir, I can't just take ownership of a person it goes against my beliefs and everything I have fought to protect."

"Would you rather have her starve and die out in the wilderness?" The man asked

"Well no, but..." Grant said before being interrupted by the councilor. "Well then it is settled you two will leave at first light. Now if you follow me, I'll lead you to your sleeping quarters for the night."

Grant followed the councilor as he led him to small hut in the middle of the settlement.

"Here you go traveler; I hope you find everything comfortable. I'll have a small wagon and the girl ready for you by dawn"

Grant watched as he left through the door and walked over the house next to his.

[Wow, not even 2 days on Ekos and you already a own slave]

"Oh, shut up, Gaius, it's not like I even wanted to take ownership of her in the first place. The old man just wouldn't take no for an answer. Plus, it's not like I'm going to treat her like one anyway."