Nine - More Suitors

Start from the beginning

'In fact, we were just heading off to... take our sticks out.' Colin said with an amused look on his face.

'Colin Bridgerton!' Lady Bridgerton roared as Colin stood up.

'A round of fencing.' He feigned innocence, but I gathered from his mothers tone that his previous statement was not about fencing at all.

Benedict simply shrugged his shoulders at his mother and swiftly followed his brother out of the room.

Just as Benedict and Colin left, Humboldt knocked upon the rooms double doors.

'Humboldt?' Lady Bridgerton asked shocked.

'Has someone arrived, Humboldt?' Daphne asked the elder gentleman with a wide smile.

'Callers for Miss Daphne and Miss Elizabeth, ma'am.' He announced. Daphne squealed in response, clearly excited.

'But... the Duke. You already have a caller, dearest.' Her mother muttered, baffled by Daphne's delight.

'Well, I suppose now I have more,' she giggled. I too was dumbfounded at Daphne's excitement, I thought she would be happy with the attention she was receiving from the Duke.

I made my way across the room, peaking out of the windows. I saw rows of carriages and horses lined up in front of the house.

This was a drastic change from previously in the week, when no gentlemen called. Why now?

I continued to peer out the window, having parted the sheer curtains with my hands when I saw an extravagant carriage stop directly in front of the house. I wondered for a short moment who could possibly be inside when, to my surprise, Anthony opened the door and climbed out.

My eyes widened at his appearance, he had on his deep navy coat, accompanied by a deep blue top hat. I could not recall seeing a gentleman so handsome as he.

I watched his movements as he walked toward the house, failing to notice Lord Berbrooke following behind him hastily as the two barged past the other gentlemen piling into the house.

Within a matter of seconds the room was overflowing with gentlemen dressed in their finest clothing, holding flowers and other assorted gifts. The focus was mainly on Daphne though as she sat soaking in the attention.

'Dear God!' I heard Anthony exclaim as he burst into the room, being immediately engulfed in the swarm of suitors. That was when I saw Lord Berbrooke. 'Lord Berbrooke, you must go.' He ordered.

'You said you wanted this handled quickly.' The insufferable man protested. 'You gave me your word.'

'I intend to keep it. You're the only man who proposed, therefore the only one I considered. This is nothing more than a terrible confusion. For now, you must go, along with everyone else.' Anthony told as I eavesdropped on their conversation.

Anthony wasted no time herding the gentlemen out of the house, occasionally making eye contact with me as he directed them to the doors.

'I should like to know what is going on,' Anthony announced, shutting the double doors.

'I would like to know the very same. Perhaps we might begin with why you chose to interrupt such an exquisite morning,' Lady Bridgerton added furiously.

'Because she,' Anthony pointed toward his sister, 'is already engaged to be married.'

'The Duke has already asked for your hand?' Lady Bridgerton questioned, completely shocked by the news.

'I am not engaged, Mama,' Daphne informed. 'Has anyone truly proposed to me? No. Have I proposed to anyone else? I do not believe I have.' Daphne answered her own questions in a firm tone.

'Do not be disrespectful, sister,' Anthony warned his sister coldly.

'Disrespectful?' Daphne laughed. 'I cannot imagine a greater show of disrespect than promising me to Nigel Berbrooke.'

'Anthony, tell me you did not!' His mother interrupted angrily.

'He's a fine choice. I looked into him,' Anthony defended.

'You promised your sister to that man?' Lady Bridgerton yelled in utter disbelief.

I stared at Anthony disappointedly. He looked back at me guiltily, with a fractured look in his eye, like he knew what he had done was wrong and insensitive.

'It does not matter. I now have many choices indeed. I do not need-' Daphne was cut off by her brother.

'You have suitors. Just like Elizabeth has suitors. But you do not have what matters: proposals,' He addressed his sister, turning back to look at me quickly with a sorrowful expression then swiftly averting his attention once again to Daphne. 'Except, of course, from Lord Berbrooke.'

'Daphne has charmed a duke, Anthony. You must know that changes everything,' Lady Bridgerton argued.

'Please do not tell me this rebellion is to do with Hastings,' Anthony asked in astonishment.

'They are courting.'

'They've danced a couple of times together at a ball. Colin has done the same with Elizabeth. It does not signify-' Anthony was cut off by his mother, but I could not ignore what Anthony was about to say. It hit me hard in the face, like the wind on a cold morning. My heart was pounding and it felt as though it was about to leap out of my chest. I scrambled frantically to collect my racing thoughts. Had our dance meant nothing?

'They promenaded this morning, and he sent flowers today to both of us.'

'Expensive ones,' Daphne chimed.

'The Duke is not a serious suitor. He will never marry. I have known him since we were boys. It is not bravado, or denial, or even immaturity,' Anthony told as he approached his mother.

'Certainly appears that way to me,' She quipped in response.

'I will not marry Nigel Berbrooke,' Daphne told her brother, walking over to the pair.

I remained stood by the tall windows, finding comfort in the warmth the bright sun brought.

'I have acted in your best interests, sister. One day, you will understand. One day, you will be most appreciative. The contract to Berbrooke will be drawn up, and you shall marry him,' Anthony left no room for dispute, leaving the room, slamming the doors behind him.

(A/N): Thank you all for the support it means the world to me! I am thinking of making a short chapter in Anthony's POV (needed for the storyline). Let me know what you think of this idea. Also I am trying to make the chapters longer for you all, so thank you all for being so patient whilst I write new chapters. With all that being said, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!! <3