《Severed Ties》

Start from the beginning

The next week or so they left the house saying they would be back in no longer than a week.

A week passed.

A week and a day passed.

A week and two days passed.

Where were they?

Anticipation grew in my stomach. Eventually I began searching for them myself. I got deep into the field. Our house was the size of an insect from where I had stopped. As soon as I turned to look back, I heard a voice.It was my Mara calling.

"Alina! Alina go back! Into the house!" Mara shouted as she dashed toward me, Felix hurrying behind her. I stood still, frightened. As they came closer into view I saw that their wings were mangled. Bruises covered their body. They were running from something. Or someone.

My body moved. I flew towards the house when something grazed my arm. It could have only been demons. Their black flames flashed around me, one of them hitting the edge of my wing. It stung with a burning sensation and I fell to the floor.

"Alina, are you alright?" My guardians caught up with me. But so did the demons. The demons charged full force towards me, but Felix was prepared. He swooped me up and ran to the house with a little limp in his steps. Mara held them off but grew smaller and smaller as she faded into the distance.

"Felix, what do they want?"

"You." My eyes widened as I drew a connection. All their secrets, the reason we came here, was it all for my safety? Were all their efforts for me?

"Why do you continue to do this?"

"What do you mean?"

"I already know everything. I am the reason we are here? Is that why we needed to escape? There really is no research is there?"

"Yes, I am sorry, but we did not want you to be worried or in danger. They're going after your power, word got out that you were put in the wrong status."

"What?"

"In fact, you...are higher....than Mara...and me," he started panting as we got closer to the house. Me? Higher than an angel of Dominion, those that bestow intuition to those of lower rank?

"Alina...you are an angel of Cherubim...The sacred eyes...of the soul...is no power to be...meddled with." We entered the house. Felix started taking his weapons.

"Cherubim?" I questioned,

"The Angels of harmony and wisdom, guardians of sacred sanctuaries? There must be a mistake. I am neither harmonic nor wise." He chuckled.

"Do not think little of yourself. You no longer need our lessons and soon you will no longer need us."

"Do not say that! I would have been ash by now if the two of you had not saved me. Thank you. I am still unstable with this magic."

"You will get there soon. There is something you need to know before we leave again," he sounded as if these were the only things that mattered, "the research was true. We have been searching for a weapon. It's a sword called the Celestial Blade, they say the holder has to be an Angel of the two higher orders of the ninefold. The sword has yet to claim a holder. Mara and I believe you will be the one."