Anne's Dreams

"I dreamed of the past last night, Gil. Summerside and the Pringles, school at Redmond and Queens, jumping on Miss Josephine Barry... and so much about us!" I chuckle. "What a life we've lived so far! And what a life we will yet live together, my dear."

*Flashback to Dream 1*

"Gilbert's sick, Anne." Marilla says, taking my hand.

"What? What do you mean, sick?"

"He's got the typhoid fever. Worked himself to exhaustion in school, I suppose."

"Oh, Gil!" I turn to Marilla. "Is he...?"

"It's not looking good, Anne. His family's awful worried."

"Oh, Marilla. I must go talk to him and tell him how I feel, before it's too late!" I run downstairs, grab my coat, and run outside. I run all the way to the Blythe's, and arrive red-cheeked and out of breath. I knock on the door, and a worried Mrs. Blythe answers.

"Mrs. Blythe!" She looks startled by my appearance.

"Hello, Miss Shirley."

"Oh, Mrs. Blythe, I must see him. I must see Gilbert. May I, please?"

"Of course, Anne. Come in, come in." She pulls me inside, and Mr. Blythe takes me up to see Gilbert.

Mr. Blythe knocks on Gilbert's bedroom door. "Son? It's me. You have a visitor." Mr. Blythe slowly opens the door and lets me in, then leaves.

Gilbert looks terribly sick, and my heart sinks. Tears start dripping down my cheeks. His hazel eyes meet mine.

"Anne..." he whispers.

"Oh, Gil." I bend down next to him, taking his hand. "Oh, Gilbert. Gil, my Gil...."

"Anne..."

"I love you." I whisper. "I do. There couldn't be any other man for me. Not Roy, not Charlie Sloan.." Gilbert smiles at the mention of Charlie Sloan, who proposed by having his sister ask me. "Oh Gil...."

"Oh Anne..."

*Flashback to Dream 2*

"So, Miss Shirley, I hear you're engaged to be married." Jen Pringle says, as we walk together.

"Yes. His name is Gilbert Blythe. He's in school to become a doctor."

"So that means you'll be leaving us? To go get married?"

"Yes, Jen. But Prince Edward Island is a small island, so I'm sure we'll run into each other again! Don't be so sad about it!"

"Oh, Miss Shirley, or, soon to be Mrs. Dr. Blythe you're the best teacher I've ever had! You even became friends with Katherine Brooke!"

"Ms. Brooke is a very nice person, if you give her a chance. Many people don't and that's why she's got the reputation she does. You try being as nice to her as you are to me."

"Okay, Miss Shirley."

"Okay, Jen. Goodbye, now."

"Goodbye Miss Shirley! See you tomorrow!"

*Flashback to Dream 3*

"Hello, Anne." Gilbert Blythe says, falling in step with me.

"Gilbert."

"How's your schooling going?" He asks. Gilbert and I are taking the same course here at Queens.

"Good. Yours?"

"Good." He seems like he wants to talk about something else, but he doesn't. "Have you heard much from the way of Avonlea lately?"

"Oh yes, Mrs. Lynde writes me with all the Avonlea gossip. Harris Baxter and Johanna Freeman are getting married."

"Are they really? Pretty, blonde haired, blue eyed Johanna and Harris?"

"Yes." I think about his hair comment. " Pretty? What, do you think only blonde and blue eyed people are pretty?"

"No. Johanna may be pretty, but she's got nothing on you, Anne." He smiles. "Carrots."