Visiting the Wrights

• Посвящена Lucy Maud Montgomery

"Oh Gil, I'm so excited! We haven't seen Diana and Fred since forever!" Gil laughs.

"Yes, since we found out." He turns and smiles at me, placing a gentle hand over the small bump on my stomach. "They'll hardly recognize you. Poor fat Anne." He laughs. "I'm just kidding." He leans and kisses my cheek.

"You better be sorry, Gilbert Blythe!" Gilbert slows down the horse as we pull up to Fred and Diana's. Gilbert helps me down, the gentleman he is. It's hard to imagine years ago, when he pulled my braid and called me Carrots. Then I smashed his slate over his head. As we walk up to the porch, Diana bursts open the door.

"Anne! Gilbert! Oh, you're finally here! How was the drive from Glen St. Mary?"

"It was wonderful, Diana! The apple trees were blossoming and it was the most beautiful- Oh! Look how big Fred Jr. is!" I bend down to be closer to little Fred's height.

"Hi, Auntie Anne."

"Hello! Did you say hello to Uncle Gil yet?" He shakes his head. Gil walks over and bends down to Fred Jr.

"Hey, bud! How are you doing?" Gilbert continues talking to Fred Jr., and then Fred Sr. Diana drags me inside.

"So, this is your baby? When you wrote me I almost jumped right out of my skin!"

"She really did, Anne. She was so excited she practically scared the kids." Fred and Gilbert come in. Gilbert sits next to me and takes my hand.

"Well, don't blame her, Fred! She's going to be a godmother, for goodness sakes!"

"Really Anne?" Diana says.

"Of course. We wouldn't want anyone else to be our child's godparents." Gilbert says.

"This is such an honor!" Diana says.

"You're so excited about this, Diana, you'd think that you were going to have a baby!" I say. Fred turns to Diana with a weird look on his face.

"You aren't, are you?" He says.

"Oh, no no no, Fred. I am most certainly not having a baby!"

Fred sighs with relief. "I was worried."

"You don't want a baby?" Diana says, with a stern look on her face.

"That's not it! It's just I thought you were hiding something."

"I'd never do that, Fred." Diana says, taking his hand.