BOSS 2 | Final Round - Judge#5

JUDGE#5

Introduction:

Hello, guys! So, this is, like, the nth time I'll be judging once again in an online writing contest like this. Many of you may know who I am since I've been around for a while now, I believe, but for the benefit of those who don't, I am Chronic Creator, and I am pretty much a self-proclaimed connoisseur in procrastination. That's because I always leave projects I've started due to sheer laziness or lack of inspiration. (Well, not always, though. I've written one complete story--yes!--but...yeah.)

Judging Style:

Yes, this is becoming a cliche now, but, for lack of an appropriate thing to say and due to fear of consuming much space, I'd happily reiterate it: Nope, I'm not going to vilify pieces based on the idea alone but in its entirety (but please, bear in mind that the idea is still an important element of the story, because that's where the story is going to revolve. Just to be sure, choose ideas that aren't tedious and will keep us on edge). I am also keen on grammar, punctuation, and the like, but then again, if your story has the gist, then it would hardly matter. (But, for the love of Lincoln, spare me the emoticons and sound effects!)

I am also frank. I hate sugarcoating (because I see no point in delaying the truth) but would gladly translate my side into a constructive one.

To be honest, if I don't understand, or am not hooked to, your piece, I would just probably skim through it. Which gives way to...

Tips:

Grab my attention from the very beginning. Start your story with something captivating, because that is going to initiate the whole thing. Forget the quotations (well, for me) and be unique. No, I don't want to read "My name is (name). I am (age), and I study at (school)." That has been done to infinite death.

Write now, edit later.

Learn to kill your darlings. Even though you love that part to pieces, but if it doesn't make the story move, then delete it. Do not add scenes or characters just for the heck of it; make sure they are essential enough. If the story has reached its end, do not ever think of writing more (e.g. protagonist and love interest having family after gazillion years, et al). Learn to move on. Say good-bye to your characters.

And lastly, just keep on writing your heart out. Be brave out there in the battlefield, darlings!

Our Judge#5 is ChronicCreator