Matt gave you a horrendous Christmas jumper. You opened it up, gasping as you pulled it out. On the front was a wildly misshapen Santa Claus with two dozen pom poms protruding from the fabric. You yelled with delight, shoving it over your head in excitement. You peered down at the design. "It's so ugly—I love it!"

"Is it the best worst birthday present you've ever got?" He said, looking proud of his horrific gift. It was the whole point, of course, and you felt warm knowing that Matt knew your sense of humour well enough to know you'd love the gift.

"By a landslide. It's hideous. It's perfect."

"Just wait until you see mine," Benny said, revealing a small package and placing it in front of you. It was neatly wrapped, just how you'd assumed Benny's wrapping would be. You picked it up, immediately knowing what it was—

You started silently chuckling as you opened it. When you ripped open the paper, you only stared at his gift in amused disapproval—

It was a copy of his book. You opened up the first page and your eyes fell upon his signature. Beneath it, he'd written, Follow your dreams, shoot for the stars.

You burst into laughter, snorting uncontrollably as you just about managed to turn the book so Matt could see it.

"Oh, you're an asshole, Benny."

"I think Benny wins, Matt. I'm sorry," You chuckled out. Matt only sighed in defeat.

"Not the first time he's beaten me,"

"It won't be the last, either." Benny added, shooting his friend a fighting stare.

The day was up to you—you had dibs. When you suggested skating again, Benny's face immediately dropped. He stayed inside, peering through the living room window as you and Matt glided across the lake, racing against each other around the perimeter and having a few new spills.

Occasionally you'd glance back at Benny, copy of Chess Review in hand as he sipped at a cup of Maude's cocoa, sitting on the windowsill.

After an hour, you felt too bad that he'd sat out. You and Matt rushed back inside, shivering from the cold, as you stripped off your snow-covered coats and boots. You looked in the entryway mirror, your cheeks, nose and ears flushed the brightest of reds.

Benny strolled over, handing you a fresh cup of cocoa. "Jesus—you look like Rudolf," He commented, before placing his warm palms on each side of your face unexpectedly. You would have been embarrassed if the warming feeling of his hands on your sub-zero face didn't feel so comforting.

"D'you guys wanna play some chess—," Matt turned his head round the corner to the entryway, overseeing you and Benny. You could tell he was surprised—as if he'd intruded—but he tried his best to play it off as Benny removed his hands from your cheeks almost instantly.

"Sure," Benny said, glancing back at you with a questioning look. He sounded cool, despite how quickly he'd pulled away from you.

You, on the other hand, weren't as collected.

"Yeah, just give me a second," You said, popping your mug on the dining table as you made your way to the bathroom and locked the door.

You leant against the back of the door, trying to breathe as your heart rate spiked. You weren't used to this kind of attention, this intimacy, even if it was just platonic or friendly. Benny had slowly but surely shown himself to be someone who wanted to comfort you, and with every hold of your hand or brush of your arm you could feel something bubbling within you.