Aspire: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The date today was 4.18.1578. Twenty-seven short years ago today Gage was recycled, two weeks later Hunter, the new Angel of Destruction, was brought to power by Alexandria. Hunter had short dark brown hair, pale skin like mine, and had newly purple eyes. His nose was strong, and he was well muscled.

He was nothing like Gage; he was cool, straight forward and didn't talk much. Gage had been a playful spirit, and had known when to be serious. The first words Gage said to me when I became the Angel of knowledge was, "Hey there baby sis!" then had ruffled my hair.

Hunter had put his hand out to shake, and gave a blunt "Hi." Absolutely nothing alike, Alexandria really wanted things to be different next time around.

Never once in my seven billion years of being an angel did I question my Goddess's word, but Gage's last words spoken to me still rang clear in my head. "The people do not know that they are like birds in a cage. They can only go so far into life's mysteries before they are killed off." Those words brought upon me the slightest bit of questioning; questioning that I could not afford to carry around with me.

"Hail what's going on with you? You haven't been listening to a word I've said, you just blanked out!" Soul said clearly annoyed by the fact that she didn't have my attention.

"Sorry nothings wrong, repeat what you said please," I said trying not to daze off on another one of her reports. I already knew everything she was telling me. Wars going to break out here, famine broke out there, peace has finally come somewhere.

"Drake has told me that war will be breaking out between Lexington and The Empire of Joust, if they don't find a way to settle the land dispute. Then The Empire of Joust is going into a famine from lack of rain. There is good news though."

"Hammarg's war between it's self has finally been settled, and peace is coming to land under the rule of King Leo." I said finishing off her sentence.

One of her thin red eyebrows rose, and her lips pulled down. "Why must you always do that? When I'm debriefing you, you butt in and finish what I'm telling you," she pouted.

"I'm the Angel of knowledge, I already know this Soul. You don't need to tell me what's happening. Is it just me or do you feel like déjà vu? I could have sworn I told you this last time you were debriefing me."

She still pouted unhappy with me. She acted like she really was sixteen sometimes, but I guess when you're the oldest angel of Alexandria you could act up a little some times. "You know you never let me have my fun!" She stated her purple eyes turning darker.

"That's a problem why? Also how's telling me about what's wrong with the world fun?" I asked glancing around the dim room.

"I never said that was the fun part now did I?" She said finally smiling making her pixie teen like face glow brightly.

I rolled my eyes. "I've got to go; Hunter's waiting for me to meet up with him at Alexandria's Halo." I stood and walked to the door. You could feel the tension in the room grow unbearable from the mention of Hunter; I wasn't the only one who missed Gage.

"Okay I'll see you later then sister." Soul's voice was low and hurt.

The ageing priestess bow as low as possible with out hurting herself. "My Lady it's so good to see you again, the Lord is here already."

"Thank you, again Chastity. May the Goddess Alexandria protect you as always?" I said giving her my blessing once again. I looked at her intently seeing how much the women changed over the last twenty-seven years. Her blonde hair had started to go white, her almost flawless skin had gained many wrinkles, but the one thing that stayed the same was her brown eyes. They were full of life and vibrant.

I walked past a table and dropped twenty gold coins for her, she'd been a good help to me over the years; it was the least I could do for her and her daughter. Then I walked up the newly repaired stairs, down the dark hall to the last door, took a deep breath and then opened the door.

There was no blast of power, just a light breeze. Hunter was sitting on the wood floor; there was a low table in front on him. His purple eyes were consuming the light. Sorrow stuck in the pit of my stomach at the sight of him.

"You're late Hail." His cold heartless voice sent my body shivers, and gave me another reason to miss Gage. I knew I'd never get over losing him. Gage, Soul and Drake were like my real family. No one could replace them.

"I know that, I was with Soul. She was debriefing me on some of the major matters that were going on in the world. So now you call me here why?" I asked taking a seat on the other side of the coffee table.

"Being the Angel of Knowledge shouldn't you know that already?" He asked holding his emotionless tone and face.

"I did, but she insisted on telling herself, not that you need to know that. Besides I haven't seen her in years. It's good to keep in contact with one another." Even if we don't want to. Now I was just thanking Alexandria for making it impossible for an angel to read another angel's mind.

His dark hair fell in his face, and he flipped it back. "I see, now lets get down to why I called you here. I know that none of you like me much, if I'm correct Gage was the name of last Angel of Destruction. He was stupid and did his job too soon, Alexandria chose me because she doesn't want that to happen. In other words if you could be so kind to try and get over the fallen and accept the new it would be much appreciated."

His words frustrated me. I shot up my head hung down. He had no right to talk about Gage like that! "Thanks for sharing, but I have to go now!" I said skinning the edge of my nerves, taking everything I had to not yell at him. Then I stomped off.

As I walked down the stairs I heard Soul calling me.

Hail I need to see you, now! Meet me as soon as possible!