34. The Goblet Decides

"Oh fuck, what time is it?" Lorette said after an...eventful afternoon.

"Uh," Theo panted. "Wow, it's- uh- it's almost six."

"Shit, we have to go," Lorette jumped up from the bed. "They'll be announcing the Champions at dinner."

"No, no, let's skip it," Theo cooed, trying to pull her back into the bed.

"We can't, Fleur might get chosen and I want to be there for her," she giggled.

"That fucking harpy-" Theo muttered barely audible.

"Hm? Did you say something?" Lorette asked obliviously.

"No, nothing."

...

They rushed into the very packed Great Hall and knowing looks from the Ravenclaw table. Theo sat far off at the other end of the table, huddled in a pack of Beauxbatons and Lorette took her seat next to her sisters, Fleur, and surprisingly, Annabeth.

"Bethy!" Lorette greeted with excitement.

"And where have you been?" Annabeth smirked.

"Around." Lorette grinned. "I see you've met Fleur,"

"Yeah, Luci introduced us-" Annabeth said, but was interrupted by Dumbledore.

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," the professor interrupted. "I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber, where they will be receiving their first instructions."

Dumbledore took out his wand, with a swift wave most of the candles burnt out, leaving the Great Hall, dimly lit. There were whispers all over, waiting impatiently for something to happen, but the blue fire only burned. But suddenly, the fire turned red and sparks flew. A piece of burned parchment flew out into Dumbledore's hand.

"The champion for Durmstrang," he cleared his throat. "will be Viktor Krum."

Everyone cheered and hollered. Viktor proudly walked up to Dumbledore to shake his hand, a wide smile on his face. Seconds later, another piece of parchment flew out and Dumbledore read aloud, "The champion for Beauxbatons will be...Fleur Delacour!"

"Oh my gosh!" Lorette squealed.

Fleur smiled victoriously and walked over to where Viktor was standing. Everyone cheered loudly for her, especially the boys, except for Theo, who seemed disappointed and annoyed. The fire once more turned red and the last piece of parchment dropped into the wizards hands.

"The champion for Hogwarts will be, Cedric Diggory!"

The room burst out in yays and boos, Ron, especially, seemed utterly disappointed that Diggory had gotten chosen. Angelina herself was frowning, but still cheered.

"Excellent!" Dumbledore exclaimed as the voices died down. "Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real —"

He was distracted by the fire, which had oddly, turned red. This wasn't supposed to happen, there had already been three champions chosen. The flames shot out long sparks and amongst them, another parchment. Dumbledore reached out and stared long and in disbelief when he read the name.

"Harry Potter"

All eyes were on Harry now, including Lorette's. There was no applause, congratulations, only the sounds of angry whispers filled the hall that now felt empty.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

Harry stumbled to rise to his feet, tripping over his robes that seemed so big on him now. Suddenly, he seemed so little and young and innocent— like the baby Lorette had met all those years ago. Surely there was a mistake, Harry is not prepared to participate in this tournament. She started fidgeting with the hem of her grey sweater, anxiously biting her lip. Waiting for something to happen, for it to be Fred and George playing a massive prank and Dumbledore laughing. That sounded unreasonable, but anything was on the table. She watched Harry get swallowed by the darkness of the room behind the teachers.

Lorette lingered outside the doors of the Great Hall, waiting for Harry to come outside. After probably two hours, he finally came out, bewildered by the previous events.

"Harry! Oh thank Godric you're okay!" said Lorette with relief. "I have to ask, did you-"

"No!" Harry barked. "No! I did not put my name in the goblet!"

"I'm sorry, I just need to know. I trust you," Lorette acknowledged. "Harry, are you okay?"

"How could I be?" he blubbered. "Lory, I'm fourteen! I can barely do an expelliarmus!"

"Now, you know that is a lie. Harry, I know you want to be humble, but you are a powerful wizard- even at fourteen." she assured. "I believe in you."

She pulled him into a tight and comforting hug. Harry returned the hug, but he was stiff.

And after a long few minutes of silence, he croaked, "Lory,"

"Yeah?"

"I'm scared."

...

"Where were you?" Theo came out from a dark corner in the corridor.

"I-I was just speaking with Harry- what are you still doing here? It's almost curfew, shouldn't you be back at the-" Lorette defended.

"Harry Potter?" Theo asked suspiciously. Lorette nodded. "Why were you speaking with him?"

Lorette raised an eyebrow and tilted her head. "He's my friend and he's really worried about-"

"But why did you stay back so long?" he kept pestering her with questions.

"Well they kept him back really long, he just got out-"

"Where are you going now?"

"I was going back to my common room," Lorette replied quickly. "Theo, y'know, it's getting really late and I reckon if they find us out here past curfew, we'll get in loads of trouble-"

"Are you actually going back to your common room or are you going to see Fred?"

"What?! Why would I go see Fred at this time of-"

"Good night, biche," he said, quickly pecking her on the lips. He walked away nonchalantly out of the corridor and disappeared into the darkness.

Lorette stood bewildered by his reaction and behavior.

"Night." she whispered, but by that time, he was too far gone to hear.

...

Over the next few weeks, Harry was pissed on and picked on by all the students. Everyone was calling him a cheater for getting picked- even Ron was against him. Lorette was practically the only person who had spoken to Harry. She helped him prepare by working on spells. Professor Moody had offered to help, but something about him felt...off. And Lorette wanted Harry to spend as little time as possible with the wack-job.

"Lory!" Harry came running one night.

"Harry, oh my god, are you alright?" Lorette asked, examining his stance.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," Harry panted. "Lory, I-I know what the first task is."

"What? What is it?" Lorette shouted.

"H-Hagrid showed me," Harry was struggling to catch his breath. "It's- It's dragons."

please vote/comment for the story's success!

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry for the really short chapter. I promise it gets better!