Chapter 21 || "You'll scream it one day."

Start from the beginning

"Down at Eastwood," he stated, his voice tight with annoyance "now just hurry up and get me."

"Okay, but what hou-"

"Bye."

I frowned in annoyance as Luke abruptly hung up the phone, leaving me in complete silence. Here I was, standing in the middle of my hallway in just my pyjamas, a hoodie and my old vans. I was cold and tired. I was breaking every moral standard I had just coming to get him, yet he still treated me like shít.

I don't know why I bothered.

As I went to leave, a padding of feet on the laminate caught my attention, my body tensing nervously. My hand was gripped tightly around the door handle, the car keys hung loosely around my index finger.

I don't think I could explain this even if I tried.

I slowly spun around to - who I thought was - my mother, only to be confronted by a completely different face. This one was blonde, furry and adorable.

No, it wasn't fetus Michael Clifford.

It was a freaking dog.

"What the hell?" I muttered, taking a quick look around before returning my attention to the small dog in front of me.

Its tongue hung loosely out of its mouth, short pants escaping from its lips. It was small, fluffy and everything I had ever asked for. Trouble was, it wasn't mine

"Who are you?" I questioned, taking a cautious steps towards the small animal.

The dog - although small - took an impressive step forward, shortening the distance between us. He/she was cute - I had to admit - but it didn't hide the fact that it wasn't our dog.

"Are you a boy or nah?" I mumbled, taking a curious glance beneath it.

Sure enough, it was met to nothing more than the dog's stomach and a small smile tugging at my lips.

This dog was literally perfect for me.

"Hey girl." I cooed, slowly getting to my knees.

She took a couple cautionary steps towards me before pausing, her puppy dog eyes studying me curiously. She was frightened, which made her even more adorable.

"I won't hurt you." I assured, slowly extending my hand towards her.

Her eyes met mine before she sniffed my hand, moving closer until she was only a couple steps in front of me. I took this as an opportunity to pet her, my hand automatically finding its way to her silky fur.

I knew I should have been going to get Luke - knowing how far a drive it was to Eastwood - but nothing seemed more important right now than this dog. She was a complete and utter mystery.

Who was her owner and why was she in my house?

"What's your name?" I cooed, slightly lifting her head to reveal a collar. The tag had nothing more than a love heart on it, no names, no contacts.

Literally nothing.

"Well, okay then." I frowned, petting her once more before slowly standing up, taking a quick glance towards the unlocked door

The dog let out a small whine as it edged closer to me, begging for more affection. I gave it an apologetic smile before hearing a floorboard creak upstairs, my body tensing in fear.

Please don't be my mum please don't be my mum.

"Pandora?" Her sleepy voice called, a slight yawn echoing along the hallway.