6 • Stealing

•••

•••

Rose was in the kitchen; the cooking department along with Celia and two other girls. Luckily the monsters were having some sort of ridiculous meeting so Clara gave the girls their chores.

Rose and Celia were glad that they were chosen in the cooking department. It's late at night and they've been hungry since they woke up. She was extremely worried for Caspian. He was all alone sleeping in that dungeon like room. What if he'll wake up; her poor brother will be scared in that dark room. He hasn't eaten anything.

Rose's eyes landed on a pile of fresh looking apples which these monsters probably looted from their town. She wanted to steal one for Caspian but she didn't dare to do it. It's not that they'll keep their human pets hungry forever. She'll wait and see what they'll be given to eat and she can take something for Caspian from her portion of food.

Initial thoughts of Rose and Celia was happiness when they were given the chores of cooking but never in their wildest dreams did they think that they'd have to cook tons of food as much as for an army of typical immortals.

How in the world can they eat food? Aren't they supposed to drink blood. Blood sucking creeps!

A hysteric looking Clara barged I'm panting heavily. "Start serving, they're on the deck." She announced and there was a rush in the whole place as plates clatter. Rose kept on pouring food on the plates as other girls kept on taking the plates out and serving them.

Her arm felt pumped by continuously doing the same thing for so long yet the food wasn't completely served. After what felt like hundreds of winters but was barely some time passed, Clara informed her to serve the humans; the remaining food now.

Rose frowned; she didn't like how Clara being a human talked about humans as if they're really pets.

Rose was astonished to see a number of humans coming one by one to take their food. Not all were girls, there were young strong looking men as well. Few of the girls looked in bad shape with dirty clothes while few looked as if they are not slaves here.

Rose also sees that olds pets of this ship were given more food and the new ones were given less food. Clara obviously observed her frown as she stated.

"You've to earn your good place here. Only then the privilege will be given." Clara's words only angered Rose more so she quietly stood with her small amount of food and walked towards the dungeon like room which was really close to the kitchen.

Once inside she found her brother still sleeping. Looking at his soundly sleeping form eased her heart as she ushered her baby brother to wake up. He groaned in his sleep like a child and his eyes fluttered open.

"Rosi?" He questioned groggily and sat up rubbing his eyes with his fluff of small hands. "I brought you food, Cas." She said happily as she placed the plate in front of Caspian.