Chapter 7: The Collector

The giant pair of hands seized Lou and Cosette, and they fell automatically lifeless upon contact.

The man adjusted his glasses, his eyes widening in shock. "Oh, my goodness," he said to himself, his voice filled with exhilaration. "I cannot believe what I'm visually perceiving! To cerebrate I've not only found the Archetype for Doll Type Number 12 but ADDITIONALLY the prototype for Doll Type Number 8, in my VERY OWN backyard!" He chuckled softly as he studied the doll duo. They were in disorderly condition, but that wasn't an issue for him. He figured he could make the compulsory adjustments himself. "Let's get you two looking sharp!"

While the collector digressed, Lou glared at Cosette. Her hair wasn't congruously affixed?! She shot him an "I can explain" look, but he didn't have it. They became immobilized again when the collector set his eyes on them.

He ambulated into his abode, entering through the front door. The place was massive. Chandeliers hung down from the ceiling and giant, marble pillars stood tall, aligning the hallways. There were giant, arched windows aligning the walls, consummate with deep velvet curtains. The collector made his way up a sizably voluminous, marble staircase with a golden banister until he would enter his spacious office.

He set the dolls down on his office desk, placing them near Cosette's miniature box of supplies. He made himself comfortable, sitting down in the rotating chair beside the table. He clicked his tongue in thought as he conscientiously picked up Cosette. First, he sewed her hair on congruously. Then he stitched her an incipient dress. It was a shade of crimson red, and it had a cross-strap at the top. The gown was long and flowing, and he would then add a dyad of ebony heels to go along with it. He adjusted her eyes, ascertaining they were secure and wouldn't fall off.

The collector moved on to Lou, combing his hair. Then he discarded his shredded attire and made him an incipient outfit as well. It was a lengthy ebony tailcoat with an elegant paisley-like pattern on the shoulders and cuffs, and it had diamond buttons that shone brightly in the room. He also crafted Lou a pair of extravagant loafers and black trousers to match. He created a tourmaline-colored cravat for the final touch, and he carefully tucked it into the prototype's neck area.

He wiped the blemishes off the dolls' faces, shined their shoes, and re-painted the intricate detail on their countenances. Hours later, the duo was in pristine condition once again. "Excellent," the collector said. He cleaned up his desk and carried the dolls delicately as he made his way downstairs.

A little girl sat at the dining room table. She wore a designer dress and a diamond headband over her golden-blonde bob. She had an aloof look on her face as she read a book, her legs elegantly crossed. "S-sweetheart," began the collector, addressing his daughter. His hands shook as he held the dolls behind his back, and his tone showcased nervousness.

The little girl closed her book and sighed, putting her book down on the table. She faced her father and spoke. "Did you get me my birthday present yet?" She demanded, folding her arms. "You remember what I wanted, right?"

"Sweetheart," her father went on. "It's impossible to get a doll from the set 'Doll Type Number 12'. They are sold out all across town."

"But I want one!" The little girl pouted.

"Don't worry, dear," the collector continued. "I got you something JUST as good." He revealed Lou and Cosette, holding them out in front of her. "You see, these are the prototypes for doll types 12 and 8. They are very rare, and I fixed them up, just for you."

The little girl glared at her father, not saying anything.

"They could sell for lots and lots of money," explained her dad. "But I want the best for you, dear, and I think you can give them a really good home."