Chapter 5: The Grand Escape

The next morning rolled around at long last, and Lou was the first to wake up. He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and blinked until his vision was no longer blurry. He let out a startled gasp as he witnessed an unsightly creature towering over him. The same dog from the house he'd infiltrated, with the large structure and the spiked collar was hovering over him, panting loudly. In a panic, he grabbed the leaf he'd used as a comforter, turning it into a shield. The dog licked the leaf, sweeping it alongside Lou off the ground. "Put me down at ONCE!" Demanded Lou, breathing heavily as he was tossed around in the canine's mouth.

All the commotion awoke Cosette, and she yawned and stretched as she looked over their way. She gasped and sprung up onto her feet, pointing directly at the dog. "Bosco!" She exclaimed. "Drop him!" Almost instantaneously, the dog dropped Lou, who was now covered in his saliva. "Sit!" Commanded Cosette, a stern look on her face. Bosco's ears flattened, and he looked sad as he sat down on the ground, tucking his tail in between his legs like he'd done something wrong. "Good boy." Cosette hopped up onto one of the tree branches and climbed up on the dog's head, patting him a few times.

Meanwhile, Lou was cowering in the corner, holding the now shredded leaf out in front of him. "Wait a minute!" He exclaimed. "Why did he listen to YOU?"

"Easy," said Cosette with a shrug. "I've been around him for a long time."

Lou looked exasperated. "But WHY won't he listen to ME?"

Cosette gave her doll companion a carefree look. "You're new!"

"That's it?!" Lou was dumbfounded as Cosette reached out for his hand. He climbed up onto the dog's back with her. Cosette scratched behind the animal's head, and his tail began to wag excitedly. "Bosco, you're such a good boy!" Cosette cooed. "I'm gonna have to ask you for a small favor. Let's see..."

Now that it was daytime, the dolls had a much better view of where they were located. It turns out they weren't in the woods, but a giant park! Cosette's heart sank when she realized kids were starting to crowd in. They started laughing and scattering all around, swinging on the swings, sliding down the slides, and playing frisbee with one another.

"I need you to grab my drone and get us out of here!" Commanded the silver-haired pilot. With that, Bosco nodded his head and sprinted off in another direction, locating the drone. He picked it up in his mouth, and Cosette was able to prop it around his neck, so it didn't fall. Then, much faster than Lou would've liked, the dog darted for the park fence, jumping over it with a lengthy leap. While Lou was hanging on and screaming for dear life, Cosette had her hands up in the air as she let out a gleeful yell, almost as though it was a roller-coaster ride. The dog landed on the other side, letting go of the dolls and the drone. Meanwhile, the canine's owner, the elderly man, was standing in the park, squinting his eyes and looking around. He was holding his dog's leash, a puzzled look on his face. "Bosco?" He called out. "Where did you go...?"

Bosco slurped Cosette, followed by Lou, who was a lot less accepting of the gesture, and he sprinted back in the direction of his owner. Cosette picked up the drone. It was heavy for her, but she'd been used to heavy lifting from all of her deliveries. "All right," she said, scouting out the place. She scanned various buildings until her gaze rested upon a small shop in the distance, labeled "Hardware and Supplies."

"Perfect!" Exclaimed Cosette. She looked around until she spotted a manhole cover, presumedly leading into the sewer. "Come on!" Shouted Cosette, grabbing Lou by the hand and rushing over in its direction. When they arrived, she temporarily set her drone down on the ground to open the manhole cover. Leading down into the ground was a large ladder. "Let's go," said Cosette. "We can't afford to be caught by any humans."