Chapter 2: Welcome to the Big World

In a panic, Lou hollered as he tumbled down, down, down. Before he knew it, he'd passed through the Portal to the other side, entering the real world through a mirror located inside somebody's bathroom. The prototype doll picked himself up and dusted off his clothes, panting heavily after his fall. His first reaction was shocked. He couldn't believe his eyes. Was he really in the Big World after all this time? For the first time in what felt like an eternity, his heart was filled with a minuscule pang of joyfulness. Was this where he was meant to be?

Louis carefully climbed down the bathroom sink, nearly slipping on the smooth marble, but he stabilized himself. He hopped down onto the floor, studying his surroundings. The house was neat and cozy, with the walls painted an off-white color, floral carpets covering the floor, and clean white furniture decorated all over the various rooms.

A giant, marble staircase nearby caught Lou's attention. The doll was tiny in comparison to the structure, and he headed towards it. Perhaps the room upstairs was where his child was! A miniature shred of hope entered the handsome doll as he slowly walked up the stairs. When he arrived upstairs, there was a large door standing before him. He cautiously peeked inside, seeing if anyone was currently home. Much to his dismay, no one was present.

Lou turned around and decided to check out some of the other rooms. He tried his best not to get caught when suddenly, a giant dog spotted him. THIS dog was much larger than the mechanical watchdog in Imperfection, and he wore a spiked collar. The canine was panting and slobbering at the mouth, and Louis dreaded the thought of the animal's saliva covering him. The Perfection Doll steadily took a step backward, cautiously planning his escape. However, the dog took a step forward, inching itself closer to Lou. Figuring he would have the stuffing ripped out of him in an instant, Lou took off in the other direction and sprinted away from the canine as quickly as possible. The dog got excited and chased after him, his tongue hanging out of his mouth as he ran.

Lou's sapphire-colored eyes darted in every which way until they landed on an old, chewed-up tennis ball. He squinted his eyes as he picked up the ball with his thumb and index finger, holding it far away from his body so as to avoid physical contact with it. Thinking on the fly, he threw the ball as hard as he could in the opposing direction.

The dog's tail began wagging frantically as he whirled his head around, and without further ado, the dog darted after the ball. Lou took this opportunity to sprint away and duck under the refrigerator, making his way to the very back to catch his breath. He peeked his head outwards, narrowing his eyes to get a better view of where the dog was. Much to his horror, the dog was tearing his chew toy to shreds. He watched in terror as scraps of the once intact tennis ball fell to the ground.

A few minutes later, the dog slumped over onto his side and fell asleep, snoring loudly. Lou sighed in relief. "Philistine mutt," he mumbled under his breath. Being as careful as he could, he crept out from behind the fridge, spotting a closed window nearby. He climbed up onto the kitchen counter, opening one of the kitchen drawers. Digging through an array of different utensils, he pulled out a spatula, a wooden serving spoon, a cork-opener, and a cheese grater. Unfortunately, those weren't helpful to him at this time, so he put them back.

All of a sudden, Lou noticed a maroon-colored car pulling into the driveway through the kitchen blinds. The doll gasped silently to himself, trying his best to hurry up the process. He dug through more utensils, finally pulling out something useful, a small butter-knife. He closed the door with a gentle thud and elegantly climbed down, gracefully landing onto the kitchen tiles below.

Louis ran towards the window as fast as his legs could carry him, the car now coming to a full stop just outside his residence. Lou hopped up onto the window, taking the butter-knife, and began prying it open. Meanwhile, the owner of the vehicle stepped outside of his car. He was an elderly man, wearing a thick wool sweater being held up by suspenders. His hands were shaky as he reached for his car keys and attempted to lock the car doors. Missing the keyhole several times resulted in the old man dropping the keys on the pavement. "Oops, clumsy me," he said to himself as he bent over to pick them up.