Prologue

Prologue

The three words came out of her mouth before she could stop herself, before she could think about her actions. She looked at the girl in front of her, terrified at what she might be thinking. Her hands tightened around each other as her palms became more and more wet from the sweat that now covered every inch of her pale hands. It felt like hours, even days had gone by as she looked into the icy blue eyes that stood in front of her. After a few moments had passed she looked away, the silence was too much for her, she desperately looked around wondering how she could leave the room without making the situation even more awkward than it had become.

"Well, I guess I should be going." she said looking at Ashley. She turned around ready to go out the door but stopped. "You don't have to say it back. It just sorta slipped out... I'm sorry."

"Spencer." Ashley said sighing, she looked away closing her eyes for a second then looking back at Spencer. Her face wore the same expression she got when she couldn't understand her math homework last week. The scrunched eyebrows, the constant lip biting and lip licking. This time it wasn't as easy as a solution.

Spencer could feel her heart tear into a million pieces. How could she be so stupid to say that to her best friend? She knew this was a secret that was meant to be kept, but everything felt so right at that moment. She wasn't ready to lose her best friend over feelings that she held inside, but these feelings, her love for Ashley, was like a weight on her shoulders every time Ashley touched her, talked to her, anything. She couldn't hold it inside anymore.

Without saying another word, Spencer turned back towards the door and walked out into the cold autumn night, without knowing what will come out of her stupidity.