Chapter 4

Natalie woke up the next morning to the warmth of the sun shining down onto her face. She slowly opened her eyes for them to instantly be attacked by the sun, she immediately slammed them shut again.

She turned away from the sun and slowly opened them again. Instead of getting blinded again she saw Sonya sleeping on the ground next to her. "Even sleeping she's pretty" Natalie thought as she looked at her new friend stir.

Natalie had seen her file before on the records.

Name: Sonya- Subject B5
Age: 16
Gender: Female
(Immune)
Comment: Original name Elizabeth. Sister of Subject A5

Thinking back to her file a sentence flashed into Natalies head. "Sister of Subject A5" if she could remember correctly subject A5 was Newt, the boy with a limp. "I wonder if she knows?" Natalie thought to her self.

***

Throughout the day Natalie had gotten to know the rest of the people in the camp. They were on their way to maze D to see if they could rescue any more kids.

Walking through the doors of the building Natalies eyes filled with tears. There was bodies lying all over the main room, all of wickeds doctors and technicians. They were all dead.

Vince clocked onto Natalies sudden discomfort and took hold of her hand. "It's okay come on we'll see if there is any survivors" he reassured her giving her hand a slight squeeze before pulling her along the corridor.

There was broken glass everywhere, bodies spread about, but the monitors seemed to still be working. Natalie pulled away from Vince and the others and walked over to the closest computer.

She started fiddling about with it and pulled up the CCTV of the room.

"Guys come see this" she called over to the others, they wasted no time in coming over to the screen.

A video of a group of masked figures came in and started shooting up the place. Killing everyone they saw. Natalie immediately ran to another computer to try and get the USB card from it that held all the information about the kids, but it wasn't there.

"They took the files, we're ghosted" she said walking back over to the others. Natalies eyes fixed with the monitor as Ava Paige appeared on it explaining the flare. "She left a video for any survivors of the maze?"

"Those are wickeds guys I've seen enough now to spot one" Vince explained pointing to the black figures behind Ava.

"Why would wicked kill their own men?" Natalie questioned herself getting lost in thought. She couldn't help but wonder if this is what her dad was doing, gathering all the kids and taking them back to the large warehouse she came from.

Suddenly a gun shot went off on the screen, pulling Natalies attention back to it. She watched as Ava Paige's body fell to the floor and the video cut off. She stood there shaking as tears fell from her eyes, she just watched a person she knew since she was young kill her self.

Vince looked over at Natalie as she started to shake from the trauma. He watched as the tears fell from her eyes, even though he had just met her, he cared for her deeply. After she explained that she had watched her mum turn and her dad was a dick, Vince took it upon himself to decide he was going to raise her as his own. Just like Mary had.

She was their daughter now.

"Come on Nat we have to go" he told her as he placed a hand around her and led her out of the room.

Natalie was traumatised. She couldn't speak all she could do was sit quietly the full ride back to the camp. Vince and the others worried for her but decided not to say anything and just let it pass.

Once back at the camp Vince took her right into the tent beside Mary. Her eyes widened the minute she seen the state of Natalie, she had never seen her like this since her mum died.

Vince placed her onto the bed and took Mary outside of the tent to explain everything while Harriet and Sonya tried to calm her down.

"W-what the hell happened to her Vince you promised me you would protect her!" Mary stuttered out of rage as the tears filled her eyes. She hated seeing Natalie like this, after everything Mary thought of her as her daughter.

Sadly Mary couldn't have kids so she was blessed to have Nat.

"Calm down she's not hurt....Ava Paige killed her self on camera and Natalie seen the video" Vince explained pulling Mary into his chest.

Meanwhile inside the tent Natalie had started to calm down and the girls wrapped her into a hug. They didn't say anything out of fear of saying the wrong thing, so they let her have her moment.

After a few minutes she had fully calmed down and now only Mary was in the room. Natalie lay on Mary's legs cuddling her while she told her stories of when Natalie was little. She had missed Mary.

Half way through the story Natalie had fallen a sleep. Without waking her Mary carefully moved out from underneath her and walked out to the others around the fire.

She sat with Vince across from the two girls and joined into their conversation. Vince explained the new plan of going to every maze in hope of finding survivors.

"Janson will probably have them all right now" Mary told them as she picked up a sandwich from a bag beside Vince.

"And what if he doesn't have all of them are we going to leave the others to die" he replied.

"This girl could be the ticket to getting every kid away from wicked and to the safe heaven" he added pointing over to the tent that Natalie slept in.

"I have to agree with Vince Mary what if she can get everyone away from them" Harriet spoke up from the opposite log.

Mary contemplated on arguing back or believing that they were right. With Natalie being Jansons daughter that could help with getting all the kids to safety. But she didn't want to risk losing her again.