Chapter 14

"Are you insane?" Malcolm bumped his shoulder against mine and grinned. "No, just a winner." He was barely out of breath after running a mile with me, and then back flipping out of a tree, just to prove he could. He'd done a flip while in the air and still managed to land on his feet. I'd learned that Malcolm was a risk taker. He was always full of energy, always keeping busy. He was the best damn third in command in all of North America, according to him anyway.

"Why don't you give it a shot?" I snorted and continued to stretch out my legs. I needed to get back into a pattern of training. Just because I was planted in one place didn't mean I needed to gain a few pounds to anchor myself. "I'd rather not break my neck, thanks." I lunged both legs and then pulled each arm behind my back. I laid down and waved Malcolm over. "Help me out." I said, gesturing to my legs. He picked up the right one and pushed it as close to me as I could take. He did the same with the right and helped me up.

"So what's hunting like? I mean, you've probably met a lot of creatures in the 14 years you've been doing this. I'm 22 and I've only been around werewolves, met a few Lycans, and a vampire or two." We began jogging again. Malcolm did this every morning and I'd decided I would go with him as long as I was here. Castiel wanted to come too, but I convinced him that Drake needed him.

"I've met a lot of creatures. We get our jobs from various sources. Other Hunter's, the paper, internet. We try to keep moving. I can tell you the entire McDonald's menu right now. The prices and calories too. You don't know how much McDonald's I've consumed in my lifetime." I paused, wiping sweat from my forehead and checking the time on my phone. I could tell Malcolm was going slower than he was used to. His breathing was even and his tan skin was just starting to glisten with sweat.

"Tricksters are the worse." I said. "They can make you believe your living anything they want, just by being in their presence. I met one in San Antonio. I lived through at least two of the Twilight movies. It was awful, and Jacob despised me which made it ten times worse. The plan was to ride it out by making steamy love to him." Malcolm laughed his hair falling over his face. "Yeah, Taylor Lautner is my weakness. Any way, Henry, my brother, managed to kill the thing, freeing me from my hell. The whole time Gabe, younger brother, was in this world where he lived with his mom instead of our dad. No hunting, no monsters, no siblings. He said he hated it, and I think he meant it." I remembered how relieved he was to see us, clinging to Henry and me.

"I went to Japan once, for like four days." Malcolm hummed, urging me on. "A creature called an Okami. This particular one prayed on virgin's. I was 15 and the only virgin he knew of, Jacob. Henry is a freaking man whore, so is Drew, best friend. Weni, his twin, was in a relationship and Jacob suspected he'd have no luck. Gabe was too young. So he flew me into Japan, used me as bait, and I got to kill an Okami because Jacob's old butt managed to let the thing take a chunk out of his leg." Malcolm shook his head. "He used you as bait?" I shrugged. "I wanted to do it. I really wanted to go on a plane. I ended up hating planes, but Japan was nice." Malcolm grunted. "It's still not right, where was your dad?" I rolled my eyes. He would've made me do it, there wouldn't have been any choice.

"Demon hunting. He does, did, mainly demons. They're probably the least fun though. They don't really hunger for one particular thing. They're like evil demented twisted humans. They make goals and they will stop at nothing to carry them out. Then there are crossroads demons. Evil bitches. I hate those things." I shook my head as Drake's house came into view.

"What would you rather do?" Malcolm asked. He sped up a little, in a way to tell me to do the same. "What do you mean." I huffed, keeping pace with him. "Would you rather hunt, or not hunt at all." The answer popped into my head as soon as the question was asked, but I held back. If I wasn't doing this, than all the people I'd saved would be dead. But then again, maybe someone would have born into it besides me. It was the only sliver of hope I held on to for that life.