Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Start from the beginning

Ahead until the end of the sidewalk seemed but a dream Reimi looked, and it was as burnished as sunlight hatching water out of a chrysalis of mountain snow, hiding any and all imperfections. The water-glazed sidewalk was bordered with green from the reflection of trees on the left and bushes on the right; they were emerald, but could never live up to the green of Rohan's eyes, and the entire sidewalk squirmed and rippled from the raindrops tickling it. Slight murmurs from tiny amphibians swarmed the area along with the pittering of rain as Reimi puzzled over the question.

"What do I like about the rain? Let's see now...well, the rain..." a single question flickered in her pink eyes like crowds in cities blossoming with skyscrapers. She did not ask herself what had been asked to her, but rather why she couldn't answer such a simple question. "The rain...gives me a feeling that is difficult to explain. It's almost like...ah, I'm sorry dear, I need to think about the question a little longer. What about you, (Y/n)? What do you like about the rain?"

(Y/n) splashed from puddle to puddle, switching legs with every hop while humming a pleasant little tune. She had to hold her arms out to her sides to keep herself from falling over. "Hm...I like the rain 'cause I can splash in puddles, find wriggly worms," (Y/n) hopped over an earthworm in her path and tenderly placed it back in the soil so it wouldn't drown. After she sniffed the air and closed her eye. "And I love the smell!"

"Do you know what that smell is called?" Asked Reimi. (Y/n) looked up, shaking her head. "The smell of rain is called petrichor."

"Petrichor..." The girl giggled at the funny-sounding word. She melted Reimi's heart with a little jingle about the rain as they continued to stroll along the sidewalk, unfortunately ending on a sour note that could make a violin shiver when (Y/n) stopped in front of a puddle she would have otherwise jumped into if not for an afterthought obstructing her way. "I like the rain when it's happy and kind like this...but I don't like it when it gets so angry it becomes a storm...those scare me."

Reimi turned around and asked, "(Y/n), what do you find scary about storms?"

"Storms yell a lot, and they make the entire world around me shake! They'll knock down trees and telephone poles and send branches flying through the air...it would always get foggy after a storm at my old home..." (Y/n) dipped her foot into the puddle hesitantly, as though it was her first time learning how to jump. "One time a storm got so angry it threw lightning onto our house, breaking off a part of our roof!"

There was a pause. A long, uncomfortable one.

"I don't understand, Reimi...why can the rain be scary and angry sometimes?"

And the pink-eyed woman found the answer to the question observing her from within a fear-mocked window to the soul. Reimi chased the fear away with an expression kinder than butterfly wings.

"You see (Y/n), the rain is like a person. It nurtures plants and rivers like we nurture our young, and when rain clouds journey across the sky every day, they're always a little different from the way they were the day prior; the rain creates rainbows as we would create paintings, and it composes music that can be understood by all walks of life; but sometimes, the rain can lose control of its emotions, thus creating a scary storm. But once it takes a deep breath, and that fresh batch of wind comes around and blows the storm clouds away, everything is calm once again."

"Reimi?" (Y/n) shook like a hatching egg. "What if the storm doesn't take a deep breath? What if it rages on for a long time?"

"Then that's the rain choosing to hold onto its anger. When it does that, it's only damaging itself and the world around it."

"I see," (Y/n) finally splashed into the puddle and stood there for a moment. "Um...Reimi? What if a storm comes our way? I don't want you or Rohan-Sensei to be in danger..."