Nevertheless, Claire knew that the letters were wrong, and would only cause more friction, which she believed was one motive of Arthur's. What she wasn't certain of was his endgame. What did he hope to achieve? She couldn't marry him. He wouldn't have any claim over the baby. If anything, all he could really achieve would be Claire's ruin, which was what stopped her from scratching his eyes out.

"You look beautiful today," Arthur continued softly, a smile teasing at his lips. "You know I always loved you in white. Is that why you chose that dress?"

Claire frowned in poor temper. "No," she said flatly. "I chose it because it is one of the few that fit me at my current size. Do not flatter yourself. Your head is big enough."

Arthur chuckled, an impressed expression upon his face. "How ever could Beresford leave you?" he wondered aloud.

"Is that a joke?" Claire practically hissed. "Why don't you ask yourself that same question because you managed it, too, or don't you remember?"

"Too?" repeated Arthur. "So, he has left you?"

Claire bit her tongue, annoyed that she had allowed her temper to get the better of her. What plagued her now, really, was that she didn't know if her words were the truth. Jack could have well left her. Perhaps that was what kept him away, and the letters of business were a sham to cover it up.

"Claire," Grace murmured, joining their conversation as she linked her arm through her sister's. Grace looked between Arthur and Claire curiously, not apologising for the look of disdain she gave to Arthur. "We are leaving. Come along," she urged.

"Your Grace," greeted Arthur, almost slyly, enjoying Grace's disapproval as he tipped his hat and bowed to her. "How well you look."

"Do pass along my best wishes to your mother, Mr Slickson," Grace said tersely. "On behalf of Mrs Denham, also."

Mrs Slickson was not in church today and hadn't been on the days that Arthur had intercepted Claire as he had.

"Mother is only too happy to hear how well her former servants are doing," Arthur replied in a menacing tone, a clear attempt to put Grace in her place.

But Grace was poised and practised in receiving such taunts. Cecily had prepared Grace well for her first jaunt into London society. She did not crumble as Claire would in being chided so.

"Forgive me, Mr Slickson, but green is not your colour," Grace said apologetically, but without sincerity.

Arthur furrowed his brows and looked down briefly at his clothing. "I am not wearing green, Your Grace."

"Oh, I was not referring to your attire. Good morning." She smiled sweetly, before leading Claire away from him and towards the church doors where the congregation were exiting. "I do not like that man," Grace hissed under her breath. "What was he doing talking to you?"

"Mr Slickson was making his donation as I was," replied Claire quietly.

"I feel like he has taken a bit of an interest in you these last weeks, or are my eyes deceiving me? I have never seen him pay a bit of attention towards you before now. Well, aside from the assembly, of course."

And she wouldn't have. Arthur had been very careful to appear aloof during their secret courtship. He was now breaking all the rules.

"Has he? I hadn't noticed," replied Claire as they met with their family.

Grace was immediately claimed by Adam, who had taken to fussing over her, and so she was not able to ask Claire anything else.

***