Prologue

I sighed as I stood up and cracked back that was sore from hunching over to pack all of my belongings, and looked around my dorm room

I sighed as I stood up and cracked back that was sore from hunching over to pack all of my belongings, and looked around my dorm room. My side was completely bare now - no more poster on the walls, nothing on my desk, no clothing in my drawers, and the bed was stripped. Everything was packed into labeled cardboard boxes and suitcases that were sitting on the floor near the door to the hallway. My roommate of only one semester, Eliza, was sitting on her bed on her side of the room looking at her phone. She hadn't even glanced up once or acknowledged the fact that I was moving out. as much as she ignored me, I actually would miss her. She was quiet and respectful of my personal space, so I couldn't complain.

I thought back to how excited I was to be accepted into NYU. It was my dream school and I had been working so hard to get in since freshman year of high school. But, I had to leave after only one semester. I was livid.

The day my father called me to tell me the news was probably one of the worst days of my life. My aunt, who my father instructed me to call Ms. Perkins, had decided to enroll me in university in England. I had no idea why - I had never met the woman in my life - but, apparently she was filthy rich and had taken interest in me, so she offered to pay for my schooling. I told my father to decline her offer because I was happy at NYU, but he called me an ungrateful brat, and the man is impossible to argue with. So, now I had to move to England.

My father had called last night to tell me that Ms. Perkins would pick me up at my dorm building at 12p.m. on the dot to drive me to the airport. I looked at my phone - 11:59. Somehow I managed to finish packing just in time after procrastinating for about two weeks.

I heard a knock at the door, and I instantly got nervous. I smoothed down my clothes and combed my hair back with my fingers in a rushed attempt to make myself look presentable.

I went to answer the door, expecting my aunt to be standing there, but I was met with a man wearing a driving cap and a tuxedo. He was about six-feet tall and had a perfectly trimmed beard. Based on the grey strands running through his otherwise dark brown beard and faint wrinkles on his forehead and near his eyes, I guessed he was in his mid forties.

"Miss Andersen?" he questioned, forcing me to stop analyzing his appearance.

"Yes, that's me. But who are you, and how do you know my name?" I asked confusedly.

He must have seen the puzzled look on my face and sensed the alarm in my voice because he said, "Relax. I'm Charles, your aunt's chauffeur. She asked my to help you carry your belongings to the car."

A chauffeur. My aunt has a chauffeur. I knew she was rich, but I wasn't expecting a chauffeur. "Oh, well, thank you."

"Of course, Miss." He picked up two boxes with one arm and dragged one of my suitcases with the other. I carried my other suitcase and the box that held the Keurig I'd gotten from my mother for Christmas when I was fourteen. I followed him down the hall to the elevator, and he clicked the button to go downstairs to the lobby. I dropped off my room key at the front desk, and said goodbye to the receptionist.