Chapter 2 - Friendship

Start from the beginning

"Hey hey, are you Kiri?~"

His voice was unexpected. I expected a childish voice, but instead, I was met with a deeper voice.

"You're PantaKing?" I asked. He pouted. "Come on now, asking a question to my question, that's so rude!" I nervously fidgeted with my fingers. "Ah! I'm sorry, but uh, to answer your question, yes I'm Kiri."

He smiled. All the worry he must have felt earlier seemed completely gone.

"Phew! I'm glad it's you! I was kind of nervous y'know! I didn't know if I was meetinf up with a pedo or not!~" I laughed nervously: "Yeah, that must have been a relief. You seemed nervous when you came here."

He snorted.

"Pfff, me? Nervous? Never!"

He grinned.

"Okay now you've got to tell me your real name!" He was holding a finger to his mouth, a mischievous, yet kind smile on his face. "A-ah! Uh, I'm Shuichi Saihara, what's yours?"

"Oh! I'm Kokichi Ouma! It's nice to meet you Shumai!~"

"S-Shumai?"

"Yup! That's my new nickname for you! I couldn't resist because you're such a cutiepie!"

I flushed bright pink.

"Nishishi, you're turning quite the red shade Shumai! You aren't falling for me are you?"

"N-no! No I'm not."

"Hmm, is that so? Oh, and may I ask what grade you're in as well?~"

"I'm a first year... I-I'm 16. What about you Kokichi?"

"Wowie, we're twinzies! I'm also 16 y'know?~"

I was pretty suprised. He really didn't look like he was 16 at all. But he didn't seem to be lying.

"R-Really? I thought you were younger." I muttered.

"Are you saying that just because I'm short?? That's so mean Shumai!" He pouted.

"Well... y-you kind of act like one..."

He acted all offended and then he launched himself at me. He pinched my sides, which made me bend over and let out a single laugh.

"Ah ah ah!~ I see you're ticklish Shumai~ That's not good for you, nishishi!~"

I raised an eyebrow. He was looking at me with that same mischievous yet reassuring smile.

"Ok-ay!~ Enough goof goofing around! Let's go to my favorite spot!~"

[...]

Kokichi was an amazing friend.

Very much like his internet persona showed it, he loved teasing people and having fun. He was kind, always making sure people around him were okay; he helped his mom around the house and he had an amazing relationship with her. He had two little sisters and a little brother, who he absolutely loved and adored. Kokichi was a good person, a genuinely heartwarming person. My uncle and aunt loved him as well; they were happy I had also made a genuine friend.

But that kind, carefree and seemingly confident exterior hid many things.

With the analysis skills I had gathered over the years, I found out many things about Kokichi.

But I didn't have the confidence nor guts to talk to him about him, and he didn't really seem like the guy to speak out about his feelings either... so I let it slide and just... enjoyed this friendship.

But it all came crashing down when he announced me he was moving, almost two years after I had met him. We were about to graduate high school, we both had just around two months left.

"Shumai? Can I talk to you?" I looked at him, finishing the cookie I was eating. He was nibbling at his, looking at the floor in front of him. His eyes felt... different. He really sounded serious as well. "Is something wrong Kokichi? D-did you want anything else?" He let out a single chuckle, his eyes snappinf up to look straight into mine. "Shuichi..." He never calls me by my name, that's strange. "I'm moving Shuichi. My mom got a job a few hours away from here. We're moving in two days."

...

I felt like my world came crashing down.

My heart squeezed and skipped a beat him. My anxiety levels shot through the roof.

"Y-you're kidding me right? You're teasing me again aren't y-you huh?" I asked, voice slightly shaking.

I thought he was going to just flash a bright smile at me and say it was a joke, but he didn't. He remained serious, his eyebrows furrowed in sadness.

"I'm sorry Shuichi... but I'm not. I didn't have a say in this." I started panicking. "B-But you're 18 right?? Why don't you take an apartment here?" I didn't realize I had gripped his shoulders, shaking him. He looked at me with a sad frown, before looking down.

And then, slowly, his arms made their way around my waist and he pulled me into a hug. His head rested on my chest, his wild dark hair tickling my chin.

"Shumai... you know I can't do that. My dad left, so mom is our only way to make money. And since she'll be working, no one will be there to take care of my siblings... except me. I can't leave them Shuichi..."

As I slowly realized the reality of the situation, I felt tears falling down my cheeks. They slid all the way down and landed on Kokichi's head.

"We'll keep contact Shumai! Don't worry, I'll never stop being your friend!~ And when things get better..."

He looked at me in the eyes, a kind smile on his face. One of his hands reached up to my face and wiped away my tears.

Then, he winked.

"We'll get married!~ And you can't say no!"

I couldn't help but smirk sadly, feeling my heartbeat slow down from the rapid pace it had taken.

"Of course Kokichi. I'll be waiting."

The other boy smiled. Then, he lifted his hand and slowly took Shuichi's cap off his head.

"Your eyes really are beautiful Shumai~ You shouldn't hide them, but most importantly..."

He winked again.

"Don't be scared to face the truth Shuichi. Even if life might be hard, you've got to face your problems head on and not give up for what you love. Can I trust that you will listen to me?~"

"W-what's this all about Kokichi? Where does this come from all of a sudden?" I said with a nervous smile.

"Huh? Oh! That was nothing~"

He let out one of his little signature giggles, a hand to his chin.

He stepped away from me and grabbed his things from the floor.

"I've got to go Shumai! I'll text you when I get there! Oh! And take care of yourself alrighty?~" he said as he walked away, gradually making his voice louder so that I could hear it.

I laughed and waved at him. "Don't worry about me Kokichi, I'll be fine! Let's meet again soon!"

"Definitely! And don't forget our promise!~"

That was the last thing he said before disappearing in the bus that would take him back home.