Chapter 4.

"Emily?" The kid started to panic as she saw no one in the plastic blue chair where Emily was previously sat before the mousy haired 9 year old fell asleep, next to her hospital bed. "Emily!" She shrieked.

Suddenly, the door opened, and in came the brunette couple. "Hey, hey, hey, I'm here. Sorry, I was talking to Agent Hotchner." She sat down in the familiar chair, after placing her coffee on the side table.

"Are you two dating?" The child asked straight up.

Emily wasn't sure how to reply. Hotch and her hadn't talked about labels or 'exclusiveness' yet, and she wasn't prepared to make a mistake in front of either of them. "Uhhh..." Hotch could see her struggling, and read the thoughts out of her head.

"Yeah, I guess we are." They looked at each other, and sheepishly smiled, before turning back to the smaller brunette in the room. "Why'd you ask?"

"I just like to get to know the people I'm around and get a sense if I can trust them or not."

"You can trust us." Emily said.

"Well, I know I can trust you, but it's him I'm unsure about."

Aaron scoffed lightly, before asking "Why?"

"I don't want you to hurt her, and you seem kinda... douchie." Emily laughed at the 9 year olds comment, but quickly looked to Hotch to see him being fake offended.

"Ouch." His hand reached his heart and he pretended to clutch it in pain before standing up straight again, a smile beaming on his face. "I promised her already that I won't hurt her."

"He did." Emily agreed. "If he does, he said he would quit the FBI for me so win win." She added, leaning in to whisper to the child. Hotch looked fake shocked at his girlfriend's words. 'Girlfriend's' - he could get used to that. Little did Leila know that Emily had promised him the same thing before calling Garcia, whilst they were at the station.

As the three were in the middle of a conversation, Hotch's phone rang. 'Derek Morgan' was the caller ID. Hotch excused himself and stepped outside the hospital room as the two girls continued to talk.

"So, uh, how long had you been with your foster family before getting taken?"

The little girl looked down, as if ashamed. "About a month. They were really nice, and I thought I was going to enjoy being there. They were close to the city but also the outskirts, so I was allowed out a lot. One day, I just packed up most of my belongings and went into the city. It was okay at first, but I knew I should have gone back."

"Wait, so you didn't get taken from your foster homes like the others?"

"No, I was taken off the street at night. My bag said my name on it, and my dad must have seen and taken me. I was away from my foster home for about 4 days, but I was taken by him like 2 days ago. I was the most recent one."

"Leila-"

"I know. It was a bad choice, but I always run at every possibility given. I don't like being in foster families. I jump around too much, and no one ever wants me." She looked down at the blanket and started picking loose threads from it.

"Hey, I run too. A lot. Trust me, I know how it feels." Emily lifted the girl's chin up and smiled at her. She could only bring herself to return a fake one.

"Em, they've got a lead on George." Hotch said as he came back into the room, in a rushing manner. Emily got up but a tugging stopped her from proceeding.

"Don't leave. Please." The 9 year old begged, sage green eyes staring up at her in hope, and grappled the older woman's hand tighter.

"Hotch-"